Author Topic: SPAMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!  (Read 1997 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
SPAMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!
« on: December 17, 2010, 15:40:41 »
  Can anyone help please i am getting at least 19/20 stupid emails a day with just spam, it is very annoying having to go through them just to make sure.   I NEVER OPEN any of them.
Any help out there please?  Thank you  Rosebud.

I have Hotmail by the way.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: SPAMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 15:56:14 »
Must be the time of year cos I keep getting things sent back(postmaster failed delivery) that I haven't sent.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 18:21:39 »
Are they from the pfizer offices

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 22:28:55 »
Shirl - glad you mentioned that returned mail thing - it's happening to me at work.........

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 09:57:49 »
Must be the time of year cos I keep getting things sent back(postmaster failed delivery) that I haven't sent.

Thats because a spammer is using your email address as the reply address.  I have seen businesses bought to their knees because of this and there is very little you can do...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 12:20:46 »

Thats because a spammer is using your email address as the reply address.  I have seen businesses bought to their knees because of this and there is very little you can do...

You just have to be very selective with the emails. It's easier with a private mailbox but commercial mailboxes are very difficult.

Private boxes: just don't download any where you don't know the sender, but spammers will get by. Don't use a POP mailbox (they download the whole email to your computer), use an IMAP mailbox as these only download the header (provided you don't click on the email to download).

Commercial boxes: it's very difficult to know which are genuine and which are spam, it needs an operator who is very knowledgeable about your business to pick out the spammers, don't leave it to someone on "work experience".

I used to run several websites and as such I had to download ALL emails, I got no end of spam.

There's no easy way to deal with spam.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal