Author Topic: A semi-retraction on the hanging of winter butternut squash  (Read 899 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Last year I hung all our butternuts with wire through the stems and had no problems with them dropping.

This year, a different story. Out of the whole crop (700+ lbs)  3 have fallen leaving their stems hanging above in the cellar rafters. The only difference between the two years that I can think of is I picked these a tad earlier in the Fall due to travel plans. You folks tend to have a shorter growing season and might have more of a problem. It is also possible that these have cross-bred with something else that isn't quite so stable :-\
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: A semi-retraction on the hanging of winter butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 15:07:55 »
Were they still edible? Did they split on falling... some really hard squash are supposed to be easier to get in after being cracked by dropping!  ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 15:13:10 »
Were they still edible? Did they split on falling... some really hard squash are supposed to be easier to get in after being cracked by dropping!  ;D
Funny!  Yes they split when they fell. One good thing- I'd had an unusual for me forethought and removed the ones hanging over a stained glass window I'm building. You would have heard my howl clear from America if one had landed on that!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 15:17:09 »
Oct 14 2007 in my shed. No problems.
[attachment=1]
This year I  stored them in my unheated  conservatory and the frost got to them.
The best has been the attic.
[attachment=2]

http://allaboutallotments.com/Butternutsquash.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal