Author Topic: HSL Catalogue  (Read 9514 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: HSL Catalogue
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 22:35:38 »
I have been a member for over 20 years and HSL has always been my main interest. 

HSL is definitely poor value for money if you just want seed.  But if you want to support secure safeguarding of non-commercial, ex-commercial, historic and heirloom family and landrace seeds and keeping them available to gardeners, then supporting HSL is very recommended.  If you feel that it is  important to support growing food in schools and spreading the organic message, also teaching complete adult novices how to garden organically, then HDRA/Garden Organic membership is a good idea.  And you'd also be putting money into supporting their demonstration gardens at Ryton and at Audley End, as well as the Vegetable Kingdom, an interactive, push button triggered, animated display teaching about the history of our vegetables today, mainly aimed at school children.  You'd be supporting organic research, including organic help to third world gardeners.  Potato Day and (I believe) Apple Day was also a HDRA/GO initiative, that has taken off like wildfire, all around the country.

Well said  :)

“ HSL has and does act as an informal focal point for the UK seed swap movement?”  I agree it’s not something I would have noted them for or setting it up, although it would be nice to hear from others if they do/have. Real Seeds I believe have supported several seed swaps in their local area, both with seeds and providing talks

My initial idea was from Reel Seeds, though at first I wasn’t sure how it would translate to A4A, I hesitated for almost a year.  But luckily after joining a similar group (Thanks aj) on another forum it gave me the boost to get it started Hoorah! I think it has been better than I could have imagined.

I have to say Jeannine has given me amongst other things inspiration, her trust and support has both humbled and encouraged me. She has shown generosity and kindness to strangers and friends alike. Although I have noted it is sad some people take advantage of the generosity of others.

I kinda think there are a lot of very enthusiastic seed savers and swappers all over, many on this site and I’ve been touched by the generosity and warmth I’ve been shown, thank you. Is this something that can be overseen and organised? I’ll be very interested to see how HSL plans to develop this and other areas. 

I wonder if HSL is a little anxious over their hold/role and focus should EEC regulations be relaxed somewhat. It also seems more mainstream companies are offering a larger range of ‘heritage’ varieties. I’ve noted more sellers setting up on the internet, often offering seeds not normally sold by the ‘big boys’ in the UK

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 22:50:30 »
I wonder if HSL is a little anxious over their hold/role and focus should EEC regulations be relaxed somewhat. It also seems more mainstream companies are offering a larger range of ‘heritage’ varieties. I’ve noted more sellers setting up on the internet, often offering seeds not normally sold by the ‘big boys’ in the UK

I don't think so as they are holding in perpetuity... just because some varities are having a resurgence of interest at the moment doesn't mean they won't disappear in the future...  :-\

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 07:20:36 »
But luckily after joining a similar group (Thanks aj) on another forum it gave me the boost to get it started Hoorah! I think it has been better than I could have imagined.

No worries - we were obviously having the same 'how would it work' thoughts at the same time  ;D.

The HSL network of savers is part of a wider project that also is partnering with institutions around the UK to get HSL seeds growing in their large kitchen gardens - and is also in conjunction with the KEW seed bank - the difference between HSL and KEW's approaches is the difference between a library and a bank [the clue is in the name I suppose], HSL want seeds 'out there' and KEW's approach is to 'keep seeds locked away' so to speak. Also - the networks are for local people, so trying to save and swap between closer areas - whereas on t'interweb we are swapping seed saved in the south with seed saved in the north so the conditions aren't adapted to the regions.....

Seeds will definitely be a hot topic within GO for a significant period whilst the change in the law settles things down.

I for one would LOVE to see a HSL seed circle run through their own forum but as we know, HSL members aren't necessarily GO members so that already cuts out access.

I think as well, the implications have not yet been thought out to their logical conclusion - and the big boys will obviously try and make £ from it - people like us will just want to keep saving, keep sharing and hopefully get our favourite seeds shared with people we like no matter how we do it.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 11:02:12 »
The HSL network of savers is part of a wider project that also is partnering with institutions around the UK to get HSL seeds growing in their large kitchen gardens - and is also in conjunction with the KEW seed bank - the difference between HSL and KEW's approaches is the difference between a library and a bank [the clue is in the name I suppose], HSL want seeds 'out there' and KEW's approach is to 'keep seeds locked away' so to speak. Also - the networks are for local people, so trying to save and swap between closer areas - whereas on t'interweb we are swapping seed saved in the south with seed saved in the north so the conditions aren't adapted to the regions.....

Seeds will definitely be a hot topic within GO for a significant period whilst the change in the law settles things down.

I for one would LOVE to see a HSL seed circle run through their own forum but as we know, HSL members aren't necessarily GO members so that already cuts out access.

I think as well, the implications have not yet been thought out to their logical conclusion - and the big boys will obviously try and make £ from it - people like us will just want to keep saving, keep sharing and hopefully get our favourite seeds shared with people we likno matter how we do it.
My first thought on reading about the new legislation was, that close co-operation with the Chase Organic Seed Catalogue would follow, to bring some of the seeds back into wide circulation, and to make some money to boot.  Anything suitable that is on the orphan list and has no guardian, could be taken on by Chase?  With a commitment to safeguard these varieties for a defined length of time, which would free up pressure on HSL to a degree.  The Swiss HSL equivalent Pro Specie Rara is doing that very successfully and has restored quite a number of their seeds into general catalogues, especially traditional Swiss varieties.  The Austrian HSL equivalent, Arche Noah,  even managed to get heritage seeds into the Billa chain of supermarkets.  

I too am looking forward with great interest to what any plans might mean in practice and hope that we will be given much more information soon.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:18:50 by galina »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 11:29:15 »
Code: [Select]
a HSL seed circle run through their own forum but as we know, HSL members aren't necessarily GO members so that already cuts out access.

The seed saving part of the forum was open to HSL members.  It remain the best bit of the forum.  I have recently become a member of GO so can now see the whole thing and I am not convinced if it much use at all.

I suppose the purpose of HSL and seed swaps is to try a selection of beans and see if they suit.  I also sourced some from Canada and some have been great and other poorer for me.  Though interestingly the ones that did well last year were not necessarily the ones that did well the year before. 

I do not think that we will see more than a few of the best in the major seed suppliers lists. 

But for me the seeds saved lovingly by volunteers seem to grow with a zest that is missing from commercial seeds.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 12:22:53 »
Even if some varieties are picked up by the bigger suppliers, I can't see it happening with all of them. There are always going to be roles for gardeners and for a voluntary group like HSL which can do things on a slightly bigger scale.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 22:32:11 »
My seeds arrived this morning. Two brassicas; St George cauliflower and Spis Bladene kale. I already have Delaway cabbage seed, so that's three brassicas I have to try to save. Then I've got four peas; Irish Preans, Tutankhamun, Duke of Albany and Latvian, and a bonus packet of Kew Blue beans.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2010, 16:35:21 »
Just having a couple of minutes out from family christmas. I havent got my catalogue yet - hope it comes soon - I get so excited - really like santa arriving!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 09:05:58 »
Santa arrived early for metoo, in the post on Christmas Eve;

My HSL selection,
Peas; Ultra U and Llanover
Climbing beans; O’Driscoll and Hoggkin
Tomatoes: Sugar Plum and Little Tatyana

Also in the post my Irish seed Savers winter newsletter and supporters seed list, double bliss.

For a triple whammy, arrival of Brown Envelope Seeds catalogue.

Bit like being a kid in a sweet shop!
 ;D ;D ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 14:46:17 »
My OH bought me HSL membership for Christmas!  :) :)  Haven't had chance to look at the catalogue yet, but looking forward to it.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2010, 21:09:18 »
Yayyyyy, brill pressie  ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 21:16:35 »
I know! I had a look - a lot of beans! I think I'm going to ask for magnum bonum peas - a few people on here have said they taste lovely.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 21:22:31 »
Nooooooo, save your choice and me Pm your addie if you'd like them. I grew them this year and have saved lots this year plus they sent me them as my freebie, you are very welcome to some.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 22:07:46 »
You can get Magnum Bonum from Brown Envelope Seeds.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2011, 21:22:33 »
Jayb that's really kind of you. Is there anything else in the HSL catalogue which you wanted instead, and I could get that for you as part of my 6 packets instead of the magnum bonum and we'll swap? Did you have your eye on anything in particular? Or you could have a few of anything I get if you want.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 22:25:09 »
This sounds like a good event to swap some new seeds, including HSL varieties at Audley End House seed swap on 20th February to supplement the six variety choices in the HSL catalogue.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/events/show_event.php?id=675
The writer mentions rare tomatoes in particular.

We visited Audley End walled gardens last year.  In the magnificent huge greenhouse which houses the fabulous massive vine, they also had dozens and dozens of large pots with different tomato varieties.  If they took seeds from each, they will be able to offer lots of tomato varieties to start off this seed swap event.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 22:46:42 »
It's a pity we don't have a seed swap in Birmingham. Maybe we should start one?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2011, 10:35:44 »
Pigeonseed, no thank you, nothing needed in return other than your address  ;D
Enjoy your choices, have you managed to narrow them down yet?

Audley End House seed swap sounds super, again I wish I were closer  :'(

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 15:14:27 »
Thanks! I've been the recipient of a lot of bean + pea kindnesses this year. Offer is always open anyway. I'll pm you. And then I really MUST stop collecting seed.  (Or is that just in the nature of a pigeon)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 15:18:21 by pigeonseed »

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 15:17:54 »
It's a pity we don't have a seed swap in Birmingham. Maybe we should start one?

That's a good idea, why not. It's a nice way for people to meet, who share an interest in veg growing. Could be fun.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal