Author Topic: Christmas cookies/biscuits  (Read 2882 times)

lisaparkin

• Acre
Christmas cookies/biscuits
« on: December 08, 2010, 18:00:15 »
Hi all, my daughter wants to make her Grandparents some cookies for Christmas does anyone have any good recipes they wouldnt mind sharing?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Christmas cookies/biscuits
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 23:07:16 »
This is a recipe for chocolate apricot cookies but I've done them using dried cherries or cranberries instead of apricots and they're just as good, if not better.  The cranberries are Xmassy.

125g or 4oz butter
3/4cup or 150g or 5oz soft brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup or 30g or 1 oz of 100% cocoa powder
3/4 cup or 90g or 3oz self raising flour
1/2 cup or 60g or 2oz plain flour
3/4 cup or 45g or 1.5oz shredded coconut
1 cup or 185g or 6oz chopped dried apricots or whole dried cherries or cranberries
1.5 cups or 265g or 8.5 dark chocolate bits

Preheat the oven to 180C and line two oven trays with non stick baking paper.

Beat the butter and sugar together till light and creamy then add the egg and beat until combined.

Stir in all the other ingeedients and mix to a firm dough.

Roll level tablespoons of the dough into rounds.  Place on the lined trays and flatten slightly.  Bake 15 to 20 minutes till golden.  Cool on wire trays.
Obxx - Vendée France

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 15:09:00 »
I don't know about a recipe as such but I will say that using real butter instead of margarine makes a world of difference and adding slightly more (not a lot) will make them that little bit more shall we say 'melt in the mouth'

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 15:57:21 »
I've made some purcidrati today - traditional Sicilian biscuits but adapted slightly.
They are made with dried figs, if anyone is interested I'll post the recipe.

[attachment=1]
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 16:27:11 »
Yes please for the fig biscuits! They look wonderful!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 16:30:00 »
A really spectacular biscuit to make at Xmas is either Brandy snaps or French style "tuiles", that are half rolled. And yet they are so easy. I am sure there must be dozens of recipes on the Net...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 16:39:50 »
Yes please Squash.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 17:52:06 »
Sicilian fig biscuits (purcidrati)

1 packet of dried figs.  Cut the hard stalk off each one, chop them up and place in bowl.  Add some alcohol if liked, (or fruit juice) and leave to soak for 24hrs. After 24 hours add some chopped toasted nuts and cook the mixture in microwave for a few minutes. I then mash it up with one of those stick mixer things, or if you don't have one, use a fork.

To make the biscuit..

12 oz SR flour
6 oz butter
2 oz sugar

Rub together, or mix in processor then
add 1 large egg.

Roll out into strips about 4 inches wide and place the fig mix in a line along it, roll it up and make light cuts across.  Cut it into diamond shapes.  Bake in a medium oven for about 15 minutes.

Now that I've read this back, I'm not sure if it makes sense!  Just let me know if it doesn't and I'll try again.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 18:09:28 »
A site which your little one might like to read then get her own thing together

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cookie/CookieTips.htm

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 22:57:56 »
We used to make these every year for teachers presents when the girls were small.  We still have them every year for us.  The pepper sounds weird (they are based on a German recipe) but they are lovely.  We never hang them on the tree though as the dogs would eat them!

Nigella's Christmas biscuits from Domestic Goddess.

300g plain flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed ground spice
1-2 tsp freshly ground pepper
100g unsalted butter
100g dark muscovado sugar
2 large eggs beaten with 4 tbsp runny honey
set of Christmas cutters
2 baking sheets, lined or non-stick

For the icing and trimmings:

300g icing sugar, sieved
3 tbsp boiling water
silver balls or sprinkles, florists' ribbon

Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, mixed spice and pepper in the processor. With the motor on, add the butter and sugar, then, the eggs and honey, though don't use all of this if the pastry has come together before it's used up. Form two discs and put one, covered in clingfilm, into the fridge. Preheat the oven to 170oC/gas mark 3. Dust a surface with flour, roll out the disc, also floured, to about 5mm, and cut out your decorations. Set aside the residue from this first disc, well covered, while you get on with rolling out the second. When you've got both sets of leftover dough, roll out and cut again until all the dough is used up. Now cut out a hole just below the top of every biscuit (for the ribbon). Put on the baking sheets and cook for 20 minutes: it's hard to see when they're cooked, but you can feel; if the underside is no longer doughy, they're ready. Transfer them to cool on a wire rack. Make up ordinary glacé icing by mixing approximately 3 tbsp of boiling water with the icing sugar and stir till you've got a glossy glaze. Ice the cold decorations and scatter sprinkles and sparkles as you like.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal