Author Topic: Lentils  (Read 1719 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Lentils
« on: December 05, 2010, 15:24:16 »
As I was browsing ::) ;D..on Seeds of Italy site..I saw lentils 'seed pack'...
Now that is one of the few things I haven't tried yet..so...has any of you had a go at it?..any luck?...or should I not bother?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Lentils
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 16:43:55 »
I'm fairly certain they need it far hotter for far longer than we can manage... not been "modified" as much as soya and that's still very variable her..  :-X

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 20:44:06 »
Yes that's what I've heard too.

I suppose our own native lentil-type thing is peas. People used to grow tons of them and store them dried like lentils, didn't they? In fact I've got split yellow peas in the cupboard and I can't really say they're any different than lentils, to my taste-buds.

But green peas are so wonderful, I can't really imagine I'll be growing them to dry.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 22:17:36 »
We are fortunate to have enough protein from animal sources now so don't need peas and beans for that too...  :)

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 22:26:07 »
I'm very keen on them, but honestly - they are a nightmare unless you grow loads.

They don't mature in time and are so fiddly - they drive you mad. And one damp late summer and they all rot.

Don't bother - stick to beans and peas.....and don't try chick peas either before you ask....only 2 peas per pod and another 'need a long hot summer' crop.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:28:35 »
You have probably set Goodlife a challenge with those replies ;) ;D.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 09:05:00 »
 ;D..probably GJ ;D...at the moment my body and brain is in hibernation mood so I feel like I'm not bothering...too much hassle ::) Ohh...this weather makes life boring ::)..but then again..curiosity tickles ;D

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 09:17:08 »
I'll say don't bother with the chick peas either.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 09:27:27 »
Luckily chick peas are something I use only a little anyway..and soya beans
I've tried soya few times..but unless grown in tunnel it don't seem to do much out here. I suspect chick peas are same..
What I've been reading about lentils is that our summer temperature should be enough for a crop..it is the wet weather that doesn't agree with it. How often do we get decent summer? ::) This last one we probably would have good enough weather. I'm a bit limited with space for growing large amount undercover and I don't think is worth it for buying large packet of seed for just trial of odd plant ::) Oh well..there is still time to decide...all winter ahead.... ::)

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 14:33:21 »
I've never grown lentils, but I once tried chickpeas and yes, they are a waste of time. Now I always buy a huge bag of dried ones - next to the lentils on the supermarket shelf - and soak and cook the whole lot, decant them into containers and freeze.

I'm glad to have grown chickpeas, though, on a 'try everything once' basis. It was interesting to see the plants producing their two peas per hairy little pod, which they did successfully, here in Hampshire. If I remember rightly, the plants were very short - far shorter than low-growing peas.

It would be interesting to see a fully-grown lentil plant. Perhaps I should sow a couple from the packet in my kitchen and grow them in a pot next year, just to satisfy my curiosity.

:)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 14:55:15 »
Code: [Select]
It would be interesting to see a fully-grown lentil plant.
Yes..that is what I think too....often the crop is just bonus.. ;D
But as my bean, pea, squash etc. collections seem to multiply each year..I experiment less and less. ::) Only limited amount time and space..

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 21:33:04 »
I always wonder when people say how many varieties they're growing. How many windowsills do some people have?  ;D

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 22:41:45 »
I've never grown lentils, but I once tried chickpeas and yes, they are a waste of time. Now I always buy a huge bag of dried ones - next to the lentils on the supermarket shelf - and soak and cook the whole lot, decant them into containers and freeze.

I'm glad to have grown chickpeas, though, on a 'try everything once' basis. It was interesting to see the plants producing their two peas per hairy little pod, which they did successfully, here in Hampshire. If I remember rightly, the plants were very short - far shorter than low-growing peas.

It would be interesting to see a fully-grown lentil plant. Perhaps I should sow a couple from the packet in my kitchen and grow them in a pot next year, just to satisfy my curiosity.

:)

They're really nothing special! But we all have to try these things don't we!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 13:44:18 »
I always wonder when people say how many varieties they're growing. How many windowsills do some people have?  ;D

you'll hate me then.... the olds are buying me a soil warming cable for christmas.... it'll at least triple the heated propagation space I have from the four full-sized seed-trays at the moment...... maybe more.....

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 14:31:46 »
Uhh..I've got 3 heated seedtray sized ones and 1 that is about 21/2 seedtray sized..and window sills and I 'make-do' with paraffin heater in GH ;D ::) I'm not short of heating space,  just where to put afterwards...and once they need potting up..
All peas and beans,sweetcorn etc. that don't need heat or that much, are germinated in GH...pots placed on blue baskets on bread trays and hanging under GH eaves where there is that little bit extra heat and mice cannot get to ;D
I don't grow that much on windowsill..part this year ::)...I've got loads of rooted cuttings going on..I cannot heat GH enough for tender things and the weather is not on gentle side at the moment..

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal