Author Topic: Under attack by banner ads  (Read 2392 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Under attack by banner ads
« on: December 18, 2010, 18:15:06 »
I made a mistake of clicking on a banner ad.  Ordered some trainers, even with the snow they arrived today.  Great.

But and this seems to be a big but every webslte I now look at every banner add is now covered in Trainiers.  How many trainers do they think I want.  I have a balance problem so moving objects are very bothersome.  Nor just one company but four or five.  How many pairs of trainers do they thing I want?

Is there any way to stop them please?

Digeroo

• Hectare
Re: Under attack by banner ads
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 18:42:07 »
Seems that I might also have inadvertently triggered some of the trainer related spam.

I did benefit from a very nice pair of cheap trainers.  But not sure that I think this means that this website should now be under attack.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 19:40:59 »
It's just the way google works.

When google Adwords first started, they scanned the website, and from the words on the site they would place related adverts.

It's still basically the same, but now they track what websites you have visited and what searches you have done, and continue to show you adds related to those sites even when you are on an unrelated site.

There is a way to stop the tracking, don't remember how at the moment but will update later if nobody else does, but the trainer add should just stop and be replaced by other in a short while.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 20:39:41 »
OK, bit of an update, if you delete any cookies with www.googleadservices.com in them whis will stop the trainer adds. (you could just delete all cookies with google or just all cookies).

These cookies store what adds you have clicked, and this seems to give a high prioroty to what adds are shown in the future.

Also, saying they will disapear soon is not true, the above cookies are valid for 1 month, which means that if you don't delete the cookies, then you will have a month of trainer adds, seems rather a long time, who takes a month to buy a pair of trainers!!

If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 20:50:35 »
Thanks Crispy it has been going on for a little wihile now and it does not seem to stop.  i find it very intrusive that once you visit one website the ads from it can keep reappearing for days on end and then spreading to companies selling similar products.

The trainer ones have become all invasive it is not just that they appear it is that they move.  I use my eyes for balance so a lot of movement on screen is very bothersome.

I have already bought the trainers I don't want any more. I certainly do not want to be bombarded for another whole month.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 20:54:24 »
I cannot delete cookies access is denied.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 21:06:55 »
If you use firefox you can download the adblock - and block all ads so that you don't see them at all.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 21:51:07 »
Seems the place to complain about advertising is the ASA

http://www.asa.org.uk/Complaints/How-to-complain.aspx

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 08:49:22 »
How can you be denied access to your own cookies?..... this isn't an advertising issue, it's your PC and unfortunately your management of it. I hardly ever see any adverts for anything  but I'm running Firefox with Adblock (the linux version is basically the same as the Windows version)

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 11:29:30 »
i use firefox with noscript installed it blocks any thing i dont want dispalyed and i can alter what is show and not, it gives you full control of the web sites you visit i get no ads at all ;D
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 19:47:59 »
Me too, it's wonderful.

It also helps limit wasted bandwidth, so the stuff you do want comes quicker.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 08:47:28 »
Firefox and adblock!  Yes!

However if you are on Windows 7 this is where your cookies are C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies but  You have to uncheck "hide protected system files" - under tools - folder options - view...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 18:04:13 »
Many thanks for you advice.  I quite by accident discovered how to stop it.  If you click on the bottom right hand corner of one of the ads you get a screen which gives you the option of stopping them temporarily or permanently.

Brill.  Hopefully No more flying shoes and bouncing hotels.

Not so good got rid of google but there seem to to plenty of others and seems I have to opt out of each one separately.  I am still under attack
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 18:08:31 by Digeroo »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal