Author Topic: is it too late to plant garlic?  (Read 10230 times)

anthea

• Not So New ...
is it too late to plant garlic?
« on: December 02, 2010, 19:45:35 »
Last year I planted my garlic in November and had a brilliant crop. I meant to plant mine this year in Nov again, but went away in the middle of the month. Before I left it was so mild and so wet I decided early Dec, when I got back, should be ok. But now we've got this cold weather will it be too late once the snow thaws? BTW, I'm in Devon and we've only got a bit of snow, nothing like the rest of you have in the north.

thanks
Anthea

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: is it too late to plant garlic?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 19:52:17 »
No it's not too late..if you can find the ground and even work at it..go ahead..You lucky one ::)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 14:13:32 »
Being a bit late because of the terribly wet autumn we had, I only  just started planting it last week!!! I will keep planting through December into January. It doesn't seem to mind the cold one bit. Last year I planted in january, real brass monkey weather and I had very good bulbs at harvest.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Sally A

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 17:34:38 »
Some plant on the shortest day, to harvest on the longest day. Just ensure the area you've got planned is not likely to get waterlogged, as this is the biggest rotter of garlic bulbs.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 19:01:10 »
Some plant on the shortest day, to harvest on the longest day. Just ensure the area you've got planned is not likely to get waterlogged, as this is the biggest rotter of garlic bulbs.

Sally, I think you are confusing it with Shallots, they are traditionally planted on the shortest day and harvested on the longest. Garlic, ideally, should be planted September/October time, but a decent crop could be achieved if planted now. :)
DaiT

anthea

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 19:05:05 »
Thanks for these encouraging replies. It looks as though the snow will be gone in the next day or so and I'll get those cloves in as soon as I can.

Many thanks
Anthea

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 20:57:43 »
No I've heard the shortest day-longest day thing for garlic too. In fact I always thought of shallots as Feb time planting. Though I now know there are over-wintering types, and this year I've got some in.

Wonder if they'll cope with the snow?  :-\

So yes - good luck with the garlic, anthea.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 20:59:38 »
No I've heard the shortest day-longest day thing for garlic too. In fact I always thought of shallots as Feb time planting. Though I now know there are over-wintering types, and this year I've got some in.

Nope, you are wrong. ;D
DaiT

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 22:48:11 »
It's never too late.... but sometimes it's too early...  :-X

Sally A

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 18:13:23 »
Well Dai, I ain't gonna get in  an argy bargy with you...mine went in October time, whereabouts in South Wales are you, as we must be on a similar planting schedule, albeit Cardiff always seems to be about 2 degrees centigrade above here in Bath.

Croseso.
xxx

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 20:24:20 »
Well i have to say , i did not get around to planting mine untill Feb, :o :o ::)
I just left them in longer than usual they were fine not as big as normal but a good size. They will be going in next week so i am not at all worried after the late planting last time.
Good luck with yours Anthea it should not be a problem love.

LoisPallister

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 20:49:07 »
I haven't ordered mine yet cos I didn't want it too early! I'm going to plant Solent Wight and although you can plant it in the autumn and late spring too it's best planted in January so that's my plan.

It's one of the besk keeping varieties and keeps right through to April (althought it will all be eaten by then  ;D). But I'm hoping to store the best bulbs to plant next year  ;)

flitwickone

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 22:11:29 »
ive just manured my patch with well rotted is it ok to plant garlic

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 07:23:57 »

Actually when I did my garlic trials - the 21st December came out the best growth over the 6 month period so I totally agree with you.

Nobody can be wrong about gardening....you put it in, it grows - how is that wrong?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 08:26:34 »
I've not planted my garlic yet and never planted it this late so good to hear from others. I'm hoping to get some in at the weekend, weather permitting  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 21:16:10 »
Mine ain't in yet either, everything is frozen. When I do plant, they will go into pots in the cold greenhouse until they sprout and then into their final resting place in the veg plot.  ;D

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 11:51:32 »
nor mine and haven't even bought it yet - unusual for me as it normally gets planted in early autumn so it will be interesting to see how well it does - as long as it gets a cold snap am sure will be fine

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 19:08:33 »
Well Dai, I ain't gonna get in  an argy bargy with you...mine went in October time, whereabouts in South Wales are you, as we must be on a similar planting schedule, albeit Cardiff always seems to be about 2 degrees centigrade above here in Bath.

Croseso.
xxx

Sorry Sally didn`t see your post. I`m in Cwmbran. I too planted garlic for a client in October.
DaiT

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 19:32:47 »
Don't take my word - listen to the biggest grower.

"Isle of Wight Garlic is planted from October to February and the first garlic shoots mark the rows from January onwards. Garlic requires a spell of cold weather, generally 1-2 weeks at 0-4C, to prepare itself physiologically for bulb formation later in the year.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 21:24:13 »
Garlic is a 52 week crop. It needs a very long growing season.
DaiT

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal