Author Topic: Shopping  (Read 4827 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Shopping
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 15:13:03 »
We had stew, or scouse, as it's called here  ;D
skirt beef, onions, potatoes, celeriac, carrots, kohl rabi..no dumplings here , just hunks of home-made bread and home made pickled red cabbage  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 16:18:14 »
Only problem is Rosebud she can taste the celery.   :'(     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 16:24:50 »
Pearl barley goes in bone stew, with the lamb bone, boiled up with carrots and onions.  Mum made it for me when I came home from school for lunch/dinner.  I am showing my age now, it was my favourite meal, apart from corned beef hash which I still like.  War baby.  A bit of snow and everyone is moaning, they didn't live in war rationing times and bombs killing people.  Rant over.  If everyone is poor why are their shopping baskets full of food (mostly rubbish) and they are still moaning, perhaps the dole money is not enough because the shops are full everyday.  Just off to DHS to buy my new sofa (in a sale), only joking. 

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 18:31:31 »
I put barley in oxtail broth and lamb broth  ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 18:34:55 »
Shops are getting a bit empty around this way. But I have found her xmas stock ferreted away in a spare room, so some nice meals coming up this weekend. None of this poor peoples fodder, bones? lentils? scrag ends of meat? no thanks.

pumkinlover

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 19:08:17 »
How many people boil up bones and chicken carcasses now? we make lovely stock to add to next soup or stew or to add to gravy. -after straining the fat off. It may save money but it is just so tasty -and as "caring carnivores" it makes sense to make the best use of what meat we buy.
I wasn't brought up in the Waaar -as my OH says he was but I was brought up that way. Any way we had to be carefull to have enough money for me Dad's fags!! ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal