Author Topic: Tumeric  (Read 1684 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Tumeric
« on: December 01, 2010, 07:37:40 »
Hi, has anyone tried growing this? reason I ask is I picked up a few tubers  :-\ from a local shop the other day, (BTW they were grown in Brazil). And to be honest it's the 1st time I've seen them, so was intrigued!

I've used one in a rice dish and a potato and cauli curry dish, and it was wonderful to use. Peeled the skin, grated it, and sprinkled into the dishes. A real bright orange colour. Mind you my fingers looked like I smoked 60 a day for 40 years!

Anyway back to growing them, I'm wondering whether to a) stick a piece in some compost and see what happens, or b) see if one of the pieces will sprout, and then stick it in some compost or c) a better idea than a & b !!

Thanks - and this really is only for a bit of fun  :)

1066 :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Tumeric
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 07:45:32 »
I'm fairly certain it's like Ginger and so I'd leave it to see if it will sprout... presuming you haven't peeled off the eyes.. then put it in compost and keep warm..  :)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 07:49:38 »
thanks Saddad, it does look a bit like a cross between ginger and galangal

1066  :)

p.s. if anyone is interested in picking some up - I got it from Trinity in Hastings  :) (and it was v cheap!)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 07:57:46 »

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 08:12:21 »
aahhhh a rhizome - thanks Grawrc  ;)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 13:43:50 »
I tried last year but it didn't make it through the winter in the GH (even thoguh I borought it indoors when it got nasty.... thinhk it needs to be a houseplant...

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 14:03:24 »
no problem for me - I don't have a greenhouse  ::)  :D

But all info is gratefully received!!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 15:26:18 »
The wiki entry is interesting.  Has anyone tried it to deter ants.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 17:56:23 »
Never tried to deter ants with Turmeric, I grow Tansy....that works ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 18:02:46 »
Didn't know about Tansy... must look into it.... that said I don't mind red ants, they don't farm aphids on my beans.... there is no hell hot enough for black ants thoguh.....

chrisc

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 19:27:54 »
I have tried several times to grow ginger from a budding root in the greenhouse and on window sills but with no success.

I get them looking right then after a while the inside is a shell and the buds are still just buds. I do not know if something eats them or if the buds take all the energy.

Good luck with your venture.

Your fingers will return to a normal colour if you have a lemon to rub into them. My gran always kept lemon shells she had squeezed to rub her fingers and nails in to bleach them clean. Yeh she did smoke and it does remove nicotine stains too.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 19:33:40 by PurpleHeather »

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 21:57:58 »
p.s. if anyone is interested in picking some up - I got it from Trinity in Hastings   (and it was v cheap!)
Did you mean me?  :) I was assuming you'd been to somewhere exotic to buy it, till you said that! I might try Trinity next time I'm in town.

Is fresh turmeric tastier than powdered? It would make sense if it was, but just wondering. I use the powder a lot.

Good luck growing it. I presume you'll keep it indoors.

I wonder what happened with the ginger, purpleheather? A variety that needs stronger light to grow before exhausting the original rhizome? There are ginger plants people have in the garden for flowers, aren't there? Do they grow edible rhizomes as well?

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 07:23:09 »
p.s. if anyone is interested in picking some up - I got it from Trinity in Hastings   (and it was v cheap!)
Did you mean me?  :) I was assuming you'd been to somewhere exotic to buy it, till you said that! I might try Trinity next time I'm in town.

;D  ;D  ;D - well I'm just trying to be helpful, and anticpate questions that might be asked.....

and thanks PH, I'd fogotten about Lemons!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal