Author Topic: Snow  (Read 7267 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Snow
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 12:38:34 »
Code: [Select]
People who think gardening is all glamorous like on the telly should give it a go at this time of year!   ;D ;D Not much to have a go with..and I'm not trying to grow some snow..it is like bad case of weed infestation over here ::)
I haven't been in work for a week now..gardening is officially off..although one of my silly clients tried to say that I can still come.."I'm sure there is something to do outside..if you want" :o ::) How can you explain some people that not only I'm not able to get car out our street because of the snow...I'm not going to walk 5 miles in this weather neither to get their house and then spend few hours doing something outside and walk back another 5 miles ::) Anybody fancy a job...pulling hair moments guaranteed ::)

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 16:38:16 »
"I'm sure there is something to do outside..if you want"

You could always go shovel some snow!  ::)

Have been trying to clear a track down the drive but gave up in disgust.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010, 17:22:36 »
You could always go shovel some snow! 
I'm sure there is no shortage of that ::)
But there is light end of this 'snowy tunnel'...it has started to melt ;D
[attachment=1]

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010, 20:49:30 »
Mrs Gumboot and goodlife - that's always the way, isn't it? People always think they're stuck in the snow, but everyone else should try harder!

I've had to work at home, but no commuting at all since Tuesday, and so I've really enjoyed it! I feel so much less tired than normal. Normally when it snows, people expect you to try and struggle in, even if it takes hours, but this week, there was no point even trying.

My friend's train took 3 hours instead of 45 mins, because at every station the doors froze open, and had to be pushed shut. Imagine having that job. And everyone would just be moaning about how late the train was!

I think it will seem a bit boring when it goes away and the colours go from brilliant white to brown and grey of a normal winter.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2010, 23:42:33 »
It's thawing rapidly tonight in my part of Wiltshire.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2010, 06:50:26 »
GONE! without a trace ???

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2010, 07:20:45 »
It's a wash-out here as well ! Just a few tiny traces of the white stuff in the garden

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2010, 08:26:44 »
A lot of it has gone & my ruler has fallen over

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2010, 09:49:39 »
Drip, drip, drip,,,,bang!,,drip, drip,,Thump,drip,Crash, BANG!,,,drip, drip, Ohh  B....d I'm wet! ;D ;D......just some seasonal noises that are coming from the roof ,,and below ;D ;D ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2010, 10:15:14 »
It's all gone here, I don't know what alll the fuss is about.     :-X        :P :P :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2010, 10:34:23 »
Just a thought - is anyone prepared for the floods now all that snow is melting quite fast?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2010, 10:41:35 »
Good thought!..I'll start pumping the inflatable.. ;D..and I'm not talking about Ken or Barbara ::)

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2010, 12:03:26 »
Still loads up in North Yorks ... lovely frozen winter wonderland.  not sure why all the soft southerners are moaning  ;)  ;D

snow plough and gritter has finally been through the lane, so the road is finally looking *easy* to drive on...

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2010, 12:31:14 »
Still causing problems for colleagues up north notts/retford/peak district area, even those whose have company-issue 4x4s!!!  For myself in Leicestershire and the more-south colleagues it's starting to go away.

On a more amusing note I rang the parents in the week to see how things stood with them as they live up near Lincoln.   Dad advised me that they weren't having too many problems and he'd been out clearing footpaths and driveway's for their elderly neighbours so they could get out.   What made me laugh is that Dad is 72!!!!

CC

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2010, 15:11:32 »
Just been watching the shrubs spring back up when the snow falls off them- ain't plants brilliant!!

Had a bit of rain this morning and relatively much warmer than yesterday- will be looking out for the black ice tomorrow.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2010, 15:17:22 »
What made me laugh is that Dad is 72!!!! Ohh..that's nothing..if their elderly neighbours are in their 90's then your dad is still spring chicken ;) ;D
I know many in their 70's and 80's who are and can do more than youngsters in their 30's and 40's....beats me ::)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2010, 15:19:39 »
Well I've managed to dig my car out today, so if I really really need to use it I can. Still mountains of snow though.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2010, 15:55:34 »
Heard a message from the AA this morning asking everyone to start their cars over the weekend if they haven't been out, so that they are not inundated with breakdown calls on Monday morning!

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2010, 18:47:19 »
Had some rain today so the thaw has started. We're forecast loads of rain overnight so hopefully it'll all be gone soon anyway.

I do love it when it's all snowy, and the garden's looked fantastic with all the weird and wonderful shapes, but it does make life a bit difficult. Strange mix of regret & relief!!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2010, 20:03:33 »
No melting my way.  We managed to get the car on the road, first time I have been a shopping in 9 days.  I reckon this snow will still be here in march.  There is so much in the garden and there is a mountain of snow at the side of the roads, I just can't see it melting back to green grass in a long time.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal