Author Topic: Depressing ... Must keep positive  (Read 3918 times)

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
Depressing ... Must keep positive
« on: December 04, 2010, 12:34:36 »
Just popped up the plot to take a quick gander. Oh how depressing it is.

I must keep positive and realise that this happens every year and in a few months I'll be so busy I won't know what to do with myself !!!

Back home now and perusing the seed brochures to keep my spirits up  :)

If it's not on fire it's a software problem

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: Depressing ... Must keep positive
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 12:41:58 »
its not depressing,its positive,your plot is simply having a well earned rest,just like you are! Ive just ordered 9 pkts of unusual tomato seed for OHs stocking,certainly cheered me up on this rainy day!  ;D  ;D
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 12:51:57 »
I get my fix by growing micro greens and sprouting seeds.  At least I have something to eat that's fresh..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 13:08:29 »
I really do understand how you feel. I get like that at this time of year. This year has been worse because the winter started earlier. During the summer I started to plan what I would do while we couldn't get to the plot.So far I have painted the kitchen and lounge. Have started doing some glass painting and making hop and lavender pillows to sell at the Allotment open day to support the allotment cats. I still get a bit grouchy but not so bad. Come January it will all start again and we will all have plenty to do.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 14:23:37 »
Just been to the plot to get some veg.  Yes very depressing all the brocolli etc has droppy leaves.  Hopefully the frost will have a good effect on the soil and it will all be ready for the off in March or so.  Time to hibernate? 

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 14:49:41 »
Haven't dared go to mine- have a feeling the rickety "greenhouse" may have collapsed under the snow. If it has I'm going to try to be positive and say it's a chance to make better use of that space. :D

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 15:20:31 »
I went to mine and bar the fox and cat prints, mine are the only prints in the snow and others have had the sense to stay away.  My profile picture shows a portion of a netted cage which was for next years brassicas. 

It is made of scaffold poles and netting and is about 4m x 6m.  I arrived today to find the roof had caved in and much of the netting ripped.  One of the scaffold cross beams had even bent under the weight. 

I am very sad now and took it all down.  back to the drawing board :-[

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 15:25:27 »
This was my plot on Thursday morning!

[attachment=1]
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 16:01:39 »
Visited yesterday, makeshift brassica cage half collapsed, nice strong mini one fine ( two water pipe sections crossed over). Got snow off spinning pigeon deterent  :)

Ordered seed last weekend  ;D

Took pictures
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 16:51:33 »

R.I.P.     Brassica cage is no more. Went to the lotte yesterday and it's flat. Will have to strengthen the water pipe somehow to hold vast amounts of snow.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 18:06:42 »
not depressing to me, I love this time of year - ok it requires a different mindset, the snow will pass, the shortest day is not far off, there is work to be done that never gets done at other times such as maintenance, manuring, clearing up etc., there is still lots of food in the ground - leeks, carrots, sprouting broccoli, parsnips, cabbages, kales, swede, winter salads etc, still lots to enjoy as stored fruit and vegetables, lots of goodies still in the freezer and jams, pickles and chutneys await our taste buds and of course there are the seed catalogues and lots of dreams to dream for next year - so in an attempt to cheer you up I love this time of year  ;D

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 18:16:07 »
Very true Calendula, it is a beautiful time.  I went into my kitchen at 1am yesterday to make some milk for my son and didnt even need to put the light on as it was so bright outside with all the snow.  The streetlights added by giving the horizon an orange tinted glow.  Considered slinking off the do some winter digging and then remembered the snow.

Sorry to hear about your cage Amazingrotavator, it looks v.nice.  Is that a moveable cage that you rotate around the quadrant?  Mine was more permanent so would have been a waste after year 1.  You can see it on the weblink on my profile.

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 16:29:52 »
Yes Dandytown, it was permanent, but was going to build another so I could rotate.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 09:02:02 »
brr
i do feel a bit gloomy and get gardening withdrawal this time of year , and even a trip to wilkinsons doesnt hold any joy as the last gardening things left the shelf in nov. The christmas tree as beautiful as it is is in the heated propagator spot and so any early seed growing has to wait until jan to.

The light is lovely and the landscape beautiful but every morning i have to unfreeze the hens water dish
today and tommorow its forecast to be below freezing in the day! the roads are to bad to go visit mum and dad and cabin fever is setting in a bit!  :)

did get my bargain seeds from t&m yesterday which cheered me up.
x sunloving

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal