Author Topic: Are these seeds going to be useable next year?  (Read 778 times)

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
Are these seeds going to be useable next year?
« on: December 31, 2010, 13:37:14 »
I have discovered my box of seeds in the polytunnel under a pile of plastic bags.

They have been there in the height of summer and through this awful spell of cold weather. Doh!

Whats the chances that they will be viable for this coming summer , or should I start over again?

Thanks

Jo

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Are these seeds going to be useable next year?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 13:48:26 »
Not ideal storage conditions.  Parsnip seed is unlikely to germinate a second year under these conditions, onions, leeks, cabbages, lettuce and other brassica are worhwhile testing.  Beans, peas and tomatoes are probably ok, but consider testing them too.

For testing, place ten seeds inside a wetted piece of kitchen towel, fold over and over again, put inside a freezer plastic bag.  Place in a warm (room temperature) location and check after a few days.  Keep checking for signs of germination for a fortnight and keep the kitchen towel damp.  If nothing has happened after 2 weeks, assume all seeds are dead.  If germination is very low, sow more thickly etc.

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 13:56:57 »
Hi Galina,

Thanks for the swift response. I wouldn't have left them in there usually but we've had a busy year.

At least I have an excuse to look at  seed catalogues!

Thanks
Jo x

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 15:47:01 »
One year I put a pinch of parsnip seed in a jar, on a bit of damp tissue, sealed it up, and left it in the shed. Some germinated straight off. The next spring, a lot more germinated. An odd seed sprouted in the third spring. It's worth a try!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal