Author Topic: what time do chickens lay?  (Read 2134 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
what time do chickens lay?
« on: November 21, 2010, 17:38:50 »
Our first chicken came into lay 11 days ago and has laid 1 egg per day  ;D. At first she was laying at about 9.30ish in the morning, but the last few days it has been much later in the day. Today she had not laid and we thought she was just having a break. When it went dark they all went to bed; when I went to check on them she was asleep on an egg in the nestbox! She certainly laid this later than 4pm in the dark! Is this normal?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: what time do chickens lay?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 17:52:40 »
When we kept hens we found it varied... they had a preference for over night/early mornings but some would lay later in the day...  :-\

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 17:58:24 »
Ours vary. During summer I check twice a day for eggs.
With winter almost upon us, they will lay less as they start to use much more of their energy just keeping warm...
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 18:06:56 »
Yes it is normal...it will take time for your newly laying girls to establish their laying time..and even then is not always as rule.
They will become more "regular" when summer comes ;)..but before that expect anything.

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 18:29:26 »
Thanks all  ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 18:47:44 »
When in high production mode - prolific hen layers lay one egg on average every 25 hours. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 18:50:29 »
ah ha so it is expected for the time to change each day? I was expecting the hen to have a specific laying time.

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 22:24:27 »
They will normally lay an hour or so later than the previous day (when they are in full swing!) and after 5 or 6 days mine normally miss a day completely and start very early the following morning, and so it starts again. And don't take any notice of most books which tell you that hens won't lay after 3pm, I have known mine to lay up to 6.30pm in the height of summer!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal