Author Topic: Program recipes  (Read 3307 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Program recipes
« on: November 16, 2010, 20:05:05 »
Do you try recipes that are made in tv-programs? What have you done?
I normally keep cookery programs as some 'background' noise while on computer..if there is nothing else on telly. Apart from Nigel and Hugh ;D
For some reason I've found myself resently actually making an efford to try some.
I did Hugh's squash soup and lemon muffins....looovely....
And I did my own version of Nigel's squash cottage pie............ ;D ;D
In internet I saw some clips of some old Finnish heritage food cooked..and I had to have a bash with that too..
Nigella does interesting looking chilli jam..I'm always going to do but never seem to get my act together with that..but I do still have couple of spare peppers in greenhouse...so maybe the time has come.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Program recipes
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 20:28:03 »
Nigella's chilli jam is lovely. SIL made it a couple of years ago. Says it doesn't keep in the book but it did for months :).

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 22:32:57 »
Yes we have regularly used recipes from cookery programmes.

From Delia, to Robert Carrier, to the Roux brothers, Gary Rhodes, Hugh Fearlessly Eatitall.

Cookery prograMMES have been a great source of our cooking.  Nowadays you can get all the recipes you need from the internet.

valmarg

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 00:32:58 »
I've made some of Nigella's chilli jam this year but it's come out seriously hot.  Mea culpa, I used Ring of Fire chillis which are clearly hotter than her shop bought red ones. Loved Nigel Slater's first Simple Suppers recipes but not enjoying the second so much.  Slightly frustrated that a book from the 1st hasn't ensued.  I've printed recipes from the BBC website but now have a pile of A4 printouts that I have to sort through each time.  I'm still keen to find the ultimate recipe for boeuf en croute.  They did one on Masterchef with crepes but I've never found the precise recipe.  Love watching Saturday Kitchen but rarely feel tempted to try the recipes...  Well, GL you asked!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 07:52:09 »
I find them informative and certainly get hints and tips, too many too mention.

Many ideas have crept into my way of cooking, probably without realising it.

The best recipe I ever got was the mayonaise recipe from The Food and Drink programme. Using a food processer just chuck in a whole egg and seasoning including either lemon, lime juice or a little vinegar for the acidity then slowly add oil until it thickened. Sadly, when we realised just how much oil we would be eating, we stopped using mayonaise.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 19:35:04 »
I know what you mean about Saturday Kitchen Jill.  It's such a happy programme, and the way Michelin starred chefs compete in the omelette challenge. ;D  It starts your weekend on a good note.  Have to agree there have been very few recipes that have tempted us.

Purpleheather, I bought a Bamix blender years ago, the accompanying book contained a recipe for mayonnaise.  Into the beaker you break an egg, which MUST be at room temperature, a teaspoon of dry mustard powder, half a teaspoon of salt, a squeeze of lemon juice and a teaspoon of white wine vinegar, you then add 300ml of oil.  The recipe calls for sunflower, but I always use groundnut.  You then blend  (with the blender disc) for about 30 seconds, et voila you have perfect mayonnaise.

When you consider what you can use the mayonnaise for, ie coleslaw, prawn cocktail sauce, etc, you wouldn't be eating that much.  Also, I understood groundnut was a 'good' oil.

valmarg

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 22:13:26 »
H F-W  I like his cooking

The beetroot brownies have always gone down a treat.

Tried the lemon curd muffins but replaced the lemon curd with pureed and sweetened apple. Very good flavour.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 06:41:07 »
To be honest val' we have decided that we two prefer a certain brand of salad cream to mayo. with salads.

But.. all those years (it must have been around 25 years) ago we liked dipping raw veg like carrot and celery sticks into garlic mayo. Thinking it was a healthy alternative snack for our then teenage children instead of the crisps they were consuming in vast quantities.

The result was, they were still eating crisps, dipped in garlic mayonnaise as well In fact Mayonnaise went onto and into everything. Mayo seemed to be their food fad of the 80's.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 15:51:42 »
I did Nigella's Spanish chicken, chorizo and potatoes the other day, chop it all up bung it in a tray in the oven and an hour later it came out perfect and delicious, recommended!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spanish_chicken_with_98922

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 19:10:39 »
To be honest val' we have decided that we two prefer a certain brand of salad cream to mayo. with salads.

;D ;D ;D I'd have to agree about salad cream.  When I was younger I always liked a bit of salad with my salad cream.  Bit of an addict, well, still am in fact.

There are a few occasions when salad cream doesn't quite work, as with coleslaw. ;D

valmarg

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 22:34:23 »
Code: [Select]
There are a few occasions when salad cream doesn't quite work, as with coleslaw. Uhh..can't stand it with coleslaw..neither mayo..I use really thick yogurt instead.
I've got so many recipes printed out from different programs ::)..and I find it such an efford to actually try them and if I'm not doing them within couple of days I simply forget and pile of print outs just grow.
One of these days I shall sort them out..
But.. all those years (it must have been around 25 years) ago we liked dipping raw veg like carrot and celery sticks into garlic mayo.Good old 80's ;D...we did our dips with  cheese spread and garlic..tons of raw garlic ;D..or sour cream and garlic..everything had to have garlic ::) ;D

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 19:57:38 »
I love cooking programmes (sad I know) but usually find I'm inspired by ideas and seldom follow the entire recipe.
I love Nigel Slater and HFW both make me want to try their recipes,I made shepherds pie using squash,potato and parsnip mash something I wouldn't have thought of but N.S. did it with squash so why not.It was lovely and the OH agreed and he's not very partial to squash  ;)
sanity is overated

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 10:55:10 »
Got 2 loose leaf books full from programmes and internet,one mainly bread and pies.
   Trouble is having time etc to cook it all.
   P.S. G/Children asked if I wanted a cookery book this Christmas.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 16:05:26 »
[code]But, all those years (it must have been around 25 years) ago we liked dipping raw veg like carrot and celery sticks into garlic mayo.Good old 80's ;D...we did our dips with  cheese spread and garlic..tons of raw garlic ;D..or sour cream and garlic..everything had to have garlic ::) ;D

Crudities never really caught on with us, ;D

valmarg
[/code]

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 17:33:25 »
crudities :o...more like utter brain melt ::)..we used to have these garlic parties..where everything we ate or drank had to have garlic in..garlic infused beer,,,garlic butter,,garlic olives,,garlic bread,,garlic icecream..etc ::) All garlic recipes were well used and more created..
And the whole of the  following week you skin used to pour out this "lovely" garlic fragrance ::) I used to book week off from work when I knew one of these parties were coming up ::) Hairdressing and garlic did not match somehow ;D
I still love my garlic, but in more sophisticated quantity ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal