Author Topic: Who stole all the worms  (Read 4647 times)

tumsh

• Not So New ...
Who stole all the worms
« on: November 18, 2010, 22:03:40 »
Hi, I'm interested to get some feedback on something that is bothering me - a dearth of worms.

I've had my plot for about a year and hardly ever come across a worm when digging. I was under the impression that worms were a sign of healthy soil, hence the concerned.  Mainly down to disorganisation, I've not managed to plant a much this year but my neighbours seem to get good crops so I don't think the worm shortage is causing a major problem.

Maybe my neighbours have kidnapped my worms ? Unlikely, since I've not received any ransom notes?

Maybe the slugs have eaten them? I could sell slugs if anyone is interested.

Answers on a postcard please.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Who stole all the worms
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 22:06:53 »
Welcome to A4A Tumsh....
they aren't far away... add some organic matter... if you want to "check" for worms put down a large cardboard box flattened out and held down with bricks... leave for a week or so until soaked and lift... should be some on the surface then...  :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 22:47:11 »
Hi Tumsh
Are you perhaps up Edinburgh way? If so and your plot is on the WHAA site then I would say that there have been problems on the East side with the nasty flatworms but they seem to be diminishing. On the West I have bemoaned the absence of worms too but over the last few months they seem to have been increasing.

If you are the tumsh from whaa please pm me as I need to know which plot you are to order mushroom compost.

Anne

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 07:41:06 »
When I first created my veggie patch there seemed to be hardly any earth worms around however after a few months of the starting of my compost bin it was loaded with worms.

Adding a layer of compost or manure and leaving on the surface over winter will bring them to the surface I am sure.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

picman

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 09:57:48 »
Might be a Mole , I found that digging in some shredded tree/bush material vastly improved worm numbers or collect all the leaves and add them, its good worm food.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 18:07:59 »
Add plenty of organic matter, and don't panic. Even if you have NZ flatworms eating them, worm populations seem to reach a balance and recover in time.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 18:53:40 »
When I first dug my lottie I think I found only about 12 worms in total.  Robert assured me that they would appear.  Well after two years wait they have finally arrived.  I buried quite a lot of leaves and these areas seem to be particularly full of worms.  Some spade fulls have now have more worms in each one than for the whole allotment.  Worms also seem to like dandelions and wheat there seem to be lots around the roots of them.

The worms in the compost bin are a different type of worms than the soil worms.  The former are red stripped beasts - tiger or banded worms.  Once the compost is done they wait for a rainy night and then decamp so one moment your bin can be full of worms and the next day they can all be gone.  If you put compost or manure containing them in the soil they do not stay around and go looking for some more decomposing bio matter.  These are the type for creating a wormery.

Soil worms usually lob worms are greyer and live in the soil. 

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 08:17:30 »
We took over our plot in July, worms were a very scarce thing. Now in November we have a huge amount of them. I think maybe they've just hidden on your plot. Give them lots of stuff to eat (muck, compost, cardboard, leaf mould) and they'll be fine :-)
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 18:04:26 »
Just like others..give your worms something to eat. You don't have to dig it in just leave plenty of 'old' plant matter on surface as mulch and they will follow.
Keeping your soil "clean" and "tidy" don't fill their tummies. This is why I always "ranting" against immaculate plots ::)
During summer if/when I weed I leave all annual weeds in piles amongst the veg or fruit bushes..once wilted I cover the piles with compost bags keeping it place with bricks ..within couple of weeks they've been digested and worms are fat and plentifull.. ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 23:28:19 »
My garden plot had few worms when I started back in March, I was planting out beans today (Aquadulces sown in modules 6 weeks ago)  ... there were loads of worm s there now... I've turned in a load of manure and I'll add more ...there'll be  loads of  shredded tree too by spring, that will go on the beans come spring...

chrisc

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 10:32:19 »
your neighbours might be achieving ing good crops due to 'artificial' fertilisers.
worms avoid soil with 'artificials', as the substances 'burn' the skin of worms.
add more organic matter, worms will appear.
hdra used to do a really good booklet on worms, this little booklet is well worth   worth finding
You couldn't make it up!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 11:07:48 »
Worms like to stay in a moist layer.  If it is really dry, they will go deeper and stay where it is damper.  This may well be lower than your spade can dig.  In a dry summer, there are not many worms visible.

But at this time of year, there should be lots near the surface.  I'd like to suggest similar remedies to what others have been saying - add organic matter.  Grass mowings, rotted leaves, compost, cardboard mulches, newspaper mulches over winter (to be dug in in spring when they have nearly disintegrated).  Or green manure crops.

tumsh

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 20:49:22 »
Thanks all for the great posts.

Organic matter seems to be the order of the day so I've spoken to the local manure organiser and ordered a trailer load.

Thanks again.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 23:15:34 »
Do remember to test manure by growing broad beans in it to make sure it is not contaminated before you completely cover your allotment in it.

stooriefit

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 15:18:54 »
Tumsh, if you are in the East of Scotland the likelihood is that you have New Zealand Flatworms.
they are in my allotment site in Peebles,and there is usually not a worm to be seen,and because it is easy to get manure from the local farmers most plots are heavily dunged,but it makes no difference. That does not stop people growng good crops of veg it just ,as far as I've been able to judge ,meant that the manure is a lot slower to break down without the help of the worms.
O\\\' wad some Poo\\\'er the Giftie gie us,
tae see oorsels as ithers see us.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 09:42:26 »
Just like others..give your worms something to eat. You don't have to dig it in just leave plenty of 'old' plant matter on surface as mulch and they will follow.
Keeping your soil "clean" and "tidy" don't fill their tummies. This is why I always "ranting" against immaculate plots ::)
During summer if/when I weed I leave all annual weeds in piles amongst the veg or fruit bushes..once wilted I cover the piles with compost bags keeping it place with bricks ..within couple of weeks they've been digested and worms are fat and plentifull.. ;D

That is EXACTLY what I do!  No wonder my plot looks untidy, it is always full of piles of rotting things! But it does mean that was in brought onto the plot stays on the plot!!!
On the weekend, I moved a pile of cardboard and weeds, and below it was a huge nest of worms! They were all huddled together under it. I felt a bit sorry for them (yeah yeah...laugh it up) so I picked up the sod of earth and put it in a corner of the compost!!! I guess they'll find a new shelter from there!
I think in the summer it maybe gets very hot for them in the topsoil and I wonder if they do not hide in other places. I find that in the winter and spring they are very plentiful in the soil.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal