Author Topic: Giles and Sue living a good life  (Read 6869 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Giles and Sue living a good life
« on: November 18, 2010, 16:25:11 »
OHHHHH..have you watced it? >:( >:(...yes I know...it is supposed to be just light entertainment..not serious gardening program..but still ::) They are not even making proper effort ::)
And JOE ::)..."he is our allotment expert..there is nothing that he doesn't know about growing in allotment" ::)..OH please.........
I hate when 2 grown ups play with their food..throwing it about etc. It is not funny and certainly not way of the "good life" >:( I'm almost feeling like they are trying to mock me.....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 16:29:00 by goodlife »

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Giles and Sue living a good life
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 16:57:42 »
I've just watched episode 2, which I thought a total travesty and - like you - completely unfunny.

I watched it because all the actual work - crops, livestock, and so on - had been done by a couple called Giles & Jane, who have just taken over and re-furbished the nursery in the next road to us. (His colleague, Simon, is the guy who delivers the wood chip to our allotments.) They're a lovely couple and are really starting to make a go of the business. I was rather hoping that the producers of the programme would let them appear. They don't even seem to have been credited!

This is typical of the sort of rubbish we get from television nowadays. (And I hope someone from the BBC is monitoring A4A!!)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 17:08:23 »
I think if you treat it like a comedy rather than anything else it's fine. I was actually laughing out loud watching it alone this week. And they admitted they weren't there all the time and hadn't made much effort. I agree Joe wasn't the best person to have as an allotment expert, though! ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 17:48:28 »
I do have to admit..the first part looked promising..and for while almost like they were going to have serious try...but by part two their were like 2 kids ::)..very short attention span...

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 18:54:17 »
I found it very irritating!  :-X
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 19:01:06 »
I have to admit to nearly wetting myself during episode 1 when they were chasing chickens.

It was rather obvious from the start that someone else was actually doing 99% of the work.  

I also had a laugh about Joe being the allotment expert.  

But I agree they could put in a lot more effort.  But I actually find it quite amusing.  

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 00:33:41 »
I saw one episode and thought it was a missed opportunity for what could be a very interesting programme.  It is trying to mix a documentary on running a smallholding with comedy and for me it just doesn't work. 

I didn't find the so called humourus parts funny especially when Sue was stuffing hard boiled eggs into Giles' mouth. 

I did pick up some good tips though so would probably watch another episode if there was nothing better on. 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 07:36:26 »
Taken just as light entertainment it's quite amusing... as I'm old enough to remember the first time round! I prefer the parodies of the original the best bits though...  :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 08:46:57 »
I am afraid it lasted 5 minutes in our house before we switched off.  ::)

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 22:04:41 »
I have just noticed the original 'The Good Life' has recently been released on DVD.
Make me think this dumbed down program is just for drumming up sales....
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Mahooli

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 15:15:46 »
I've been rather disappointed by this programme, thought it could do so much good but more of a mockery than showing people what can be done in a normal garden environment. Sadly several programmes purported to show a simple, green lifestyle have been more of an ego trip for the relevant presenters rather than informative. I much preferred Monty Don's programmes, the mastercrafts ones (which were superb) and the one he did for growing food for young offenders/addicts to achieve.
Becky

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 16:36:51 »

I also had a laugh about Joe being the allotment expert.  

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I bet the dummy thought he'd been booked for serious gardening program  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 12:54:29 »
I saw the first one on dopwnload last night.... I quite liked it but a big chunk of that is cos I fancy Sue Perkins (talk about the unnattainable, I'd have no chance even if she was straight).... It did have some interesting points to make mostly regarding how ill-equipped most townies (ie Giles) are for practical physical tasks.....

chrisc

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 22:52:52 »
Taken just as light entertainment it's quite amusing... as I'm old enough to remember the first time round! I prefer the parodies of the original the best bits though...  :)

I think this is a very charitable interpretation and just about makes sense too.

Even so it wasn't that funny.  After the brilliant series of programmes recently where Sue brought a run down colliery band back to strength and made them shine, this was a let down.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 07:59:18 »
Must admit I found it quite funny   ;D

Loved the way they went back to the neglected lottie and were bemused by what they found .

Not to be taken too seriously.  :)

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 08:00:13 »
hubbie and i watched the first, thinking oh good, a program about what we are trying to do, live a healthy and productive lifestyle. What we saw was quite insulting really, they took it all as a joke, now with the oil on the wane and the fact that we are having to consider in the long term, producing more and more of our food within our country, i would really like to see a program that takes this issue seriously.

bah humbug and all that  >:(

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 08:06:49 »
I think lottiedolly is making a good point, it was an opportunity missed. Anne x

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 08:09:44 »
I think it was meant to be a comedy   ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 08:13:24 »
I will have to watch it in that light then! :) anne x

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 08:17:59 »
Yes think you would enjoy it more..if you think about it when was The Good life ever a serious look at smallholding??  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal