Author Topic: Collapsed Honeysuckle frame - rescue tips?  (Read 1535 times)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
Collapsed Honeysuckle frame - rescue tips?
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:46:20 »
Hi there,
We have a lovely honeysuckle which is quite mature but the problem is the willow frame it has grown around has now collapsed completely. I'm not sure how to go about trying to give the plant some support while not disturbing it too much. Any advice welcome!
CLx

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Collapsed Honeysuckle frame - rescue tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:17:37 »
Reinforcing mesh that they use in concrete comes in a big sheet and is reasonably cheap. Hold it in place with the candytwist re-bar so it all matches then weave your honeysuckle into it. I use it to make rose arbours, fencing and trellis. It looks good rusty or you can paint it if you need to.

Honeysuckle is bombproof, have you ever tried to get rid of it? It keeps coming back if you leave a bit of root. So cutting it right back should not harm it, then do your trellis repairs, new growth will soon come back, but you could put a cheap  montana  clematis or passion flower in to bulk it up at first.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 08:45:34 »
Oh thank you ACE....any idea where to get this mesh stuff? Silly question probably but what do you mean by 'candy twist re-bar'? There' nothing left of the original fram btw...

Sorry for being dim!
CLx

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 08:58:37 »
Builders yards for the mesh and re-bar.  They put a twist in the reinforcing bar so the concrete binds better

I use the lightest grade for the mesh, but get a thicker bar that will not bend.

Sometimes if you give the bloke a 'drink' ona building site, you might get the offcuts or if you are lucky a whole bit that is left over, as it is usually priced into the job and has been paid for once.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:01:42 by ACE »

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 11:04:39 »
Oooh! Thank you so much! Will get onto it!

CLx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal