Author Topic: Apple Juice  (Read 5101 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Apple Juice
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 08:28:55 »
will try the vit c on the next batch of aple juice as also prefer natural to chemicals.

Although I agree much of the Vit C we buy these days is synthesised as opposed to extracted...

This describes a one step synthesis...

A method is provided for producing L-ascorbic acid (Vitamin-C) in a single process step. Starting material, particularly a mixture of compounds from the group consisting of glucose, sorbitol, sorbose, and 2-keto-L-gulonic acid, is catalytically oxidized in aqueous solution by hypochlorous acid. L-ascorbic acid then can be separated from the aqueous solution, and the unconverted reactants recycled for greater conversion. The reaction occurs in the aqueous state at ambient temperature near a pH of 5.5 when an optimum amount of hydrous cobalt-oxide is present in the solution.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 08:56:53 »
 May be I'll try lemon juice instead !! ;)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 01:05:58 »
Although I agree much of the Vit C we buy these days is synthesised as opposed to extracted...

If you don't like the idea of one kind of simple food molecules being turned into another simple food molecule by heat and bleaching (by simple predictable reagents used for centuries) and low toxicity, low mobility catalysts (that by definition aren't present in the end product) then you should be 100x more worried by what they put in every kind of processed food - even dried fruit. Not to mention complex and unpredictable pesticides, herbicides, fungicides.

I do worry about the complex synthetic stuff in our foods - that's why I grow my own and minimise the rest.

Home grown VitC in home-grown blackcurrant juice works just as well and the end result tastes better than the sum of its parts.

But to really worry about such simple stuff as VitC synthesis going wrong - that way lies the padded cell.

You need to apply the venerable and common-sense 'peanut test' - anything that's less deadly than choking on a peanut isn't worth bothering about. It covers 90% of what the newspapers would like to spook us with (including rail travel) and 99% of what alternative therapists warn us to avoid.

In fact it covers just about everything except what makes really big bucks for unscrupulous businesses.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

pumkinlover

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 08:38:55 »
The replies to this all make such interesting reading. I guess we are all looking at the things that concern us from slightly different points on a continuum.
We try to avoid processed foods as much as we can and it really is not difficult because after so many years you just do not like that type of food.
One of the main problems we have is monosodium glutamate and I know that in itself can cause a huge range of opinions, but from a personal point of view the less you have the lower your tolerance becomes. As we have cut it out of our diet we now have about zero tolerance, unless we accidentally have any-usually in gravy when we go out.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 08:57:08 »

But to really worry about such simple stuff as VitC synthesis going wrong - that way lies the padded cell.

Im not in the least worried about it nor am I worried about adding a bit of Potassium Metabisulphite to my wine/juice/fruit which does seem to bother some people!
Just pointing out that the distinction between natural and synthetic is not as clear cut as it would sometimes appear.  Sulphur dioxide is after all a perfectly natural chemical as well..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 19:26:11 »
I like to go as natural as possible from sheer prudence - but when the 'green/enviro' approach moves away from 'best efforts' towards a 'belief/faith culture' then I get very very worried... It isn't a holy war.

For me common sense trumps dogma every time.

I use metabisulphite myself for sterilisation - it is a simple substance with centuries of safe usage and there are very few question marks hanging over it when it is used in sensible amounts.

I'm also happy with chemical synthesis when the technique is tried and tested and the substances involved are simple enough to be predictable - there is nothing magic about chemical structures.

It is an insult to the origins of the organic movement to suggest that magic (or imaginary purity/moral issues) comes into growing food - when it got going it was based on doubt - which made it much more scientific than the blindly overconfident mainstream agriculture coming from the technical colleges.

Sadly the movement has been infiltrated by a 'happy clappy' element that obviously hasn't found what it wants elsewhere... a pity as they obviously need a friendly, controlled and sheltered environment (I don't mean an asylum - I mean the Anglican Church!).

Anyway that means that for making apple juice taste fresh there is no contest:

First: Home-grown sharp/tart fruit juice.

Second: Lemons from the shop (beware the skin/zest of waxed fruit - very powerful and persistent pesticides are commonplace).

Third: VitC (ascorbic acid) powder (from a reputable source).

Acceptable but worth keeping for emergencies only: Sulphites.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

jasicajame

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 04:05:14 »
An apple a keeps a doctor away, so it means an apple was very beneficial for us. Apple juice contain a great vitamins in it and also having a good flavor. It contain vitamin A and C in good manner. It reduce a cholesterol level if it high and maintain it.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2010, 09:39:38 »
Tim - did you manage to sort out your apple juice?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal