Author Topic: Can you freeze yoghourt  (Read 2125 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Can you freeze yoghourt
« on: December 15, 2010, 18:49:56 »
My husband has taken to freezing milk which seems to work very well though takes a long time to defrost

Has anyone tried with yoghourt?  I have bought some of a type my daughter likes and it is on special offer atm.

Do the friendly bacteria die?

Buster54

• Acre
Re: Can you freeze yoghourt
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 09:53:15 »
I found this ,
Yes, you may freeze yoghurt.Plain yoghurt is good, in that there are no other ingredients that can be affected by the freezing (and thawing) process. Remember, however, whenever you freeze anything (especially something that has a smooth texture, like yoghurt), that texture may be somewhat effected. With yoghurt, you will find that after you thaw it out, there will be a slight separation of the solids and the whey (liquid portion). You may either pour off some or all of the liquid, or stir it back in. Other than this factor, I do not
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 11:46:48 »
I think the good bacteria just start up again when they are warm enough and have something to feed on- so to speak.
I know with cheese making I make up a batch of 'culture' (not sure if that is the correct term) then freeze individual portions in an ice tray until I need them. Once defrosted I just pop them in the milk and they get on and do their thing  :)

Like buster, I think the yoghurt texture might be a bit iffy though.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 17:23:39 »
Years ago I used to make my own yoghourt & freeze it. The girls didn't like yoghourt but I didn't tell them what this pudding was. I used to make the yoghourt & put it in a vitalite margarine container, before I put it in the freezer & put a swirl of runny honey through it. Defrosted for 1/2 hour before serving & they loved it.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 17:51:47 »
Yes..I've done frozen deserts with yogurt too..sort of 'ice cream'..but used jam to give the flavour.
By freezing your yogurt the flavour won't alter..nor the bacteria will be effected..but like others have said about texture..well I found that only the ticker sort does change some..but nothing drastic ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 22:46:50 »
Many thanks.  I will give it a whirl.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 01:01:13 »
I freeze it all the time, but I only use it for curry so that probably doesn't count.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 06:30:41 »
I freeze full fat cheese too. It makes it a bit crumbly but since as I will most likely use it for a sauce that does not matter.

Handy when the supermarket has big packs reduced in price because they are near the sell by date.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 01:26:59 »
Useful info re~: yoghurt.... now I can make up a batch of mint and turmeric yoghurt for onion bhajis in icecubes .... only need a coupole of cubes when I make bhajis.....

chrisc

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 02:30:05 »
Anything can be frozen but the end result can be disappointing once thawed.

Commercial yoghurts are not all 'proper' yoghurts. Mostly,  they are contrived variations with artificial thingies in them.

Yoghurt is one of those things which can be frozen but once thawed it will need some beating back into shape.

Pop the lid to allow room for expansion when freezing then when thawed put in to a dish and whisk a bit with a fork.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal