Author Topic: Another one bites the dust  (Read 3757 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Another one bites the dust
« on: November 09, 2010, 15:50:01 »
He started off so well, but the middle plot next to mine seems to be going back to nature.  He has left a padlocked box, not dug his pots or been seen for ages.  Photo number 2 is his wheelbarrow. Manuel has gone to Coventry to work so his OH has given up both his plots, but I have permission from her to take anything I want, but it is too cold and rainy today.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Another one bites the dust
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 16:08:30 »
Every year we seem to let plots to his/her friends too....  :-X

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 16:13:01 »
Yes his cousin has the plot next to me. A recent letter from the Town Council brought him out a couple of weekends ago and he strimmed the middle of his plot and spread some carpet on another bit.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 16:33:06 »
The irony is that if there weren't these long waiting lists, people might give up their plots when they hadn't got the time because they would be confident that they could get another one when they did.  And if folks like this gave up their plots, there wouldn't be these waiting lists.

People eh?  We are our own worst enemy.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 16:33:17 »
I just don't get it..we have long waiting list and few lucky ones did get hold of their allotments this year..and now they are left again ::) You would think that if you have to wait couple of years to get a lottie you are keep and willing to cultivate...but no ::) We are not even too punishing with our standards..nobody is not expected to keep their plots 'spotless'..as long as they show sign of good try and growing something..little improvement required slowly over time is good too, but even promise of help won't get some going ::)
Looks like there is few letter to be written out again this winter ::)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 16:40:48 »
We have just got rid of a chap off our site....he came with good intentions but he also came with a bad back!!......he would work one day and be in too much pain for the next 3!

He planted a few things....laying down to plant most and then then was it...never to be seen again.I personally asked him if he needed help many times(I knocked on his door)..he said he would be fine...should have taken my help when offered!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 17:06:55 »
This infuriates me >:( we have even started letting 1/4 plots and people are just not committed enough to keep them even partially cultivated.
I don't know who they think is going to keep the weeds down, I haven't met any 'weed fairy' yet, plenty of seed dust gets spread around not much fairy dust!

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 17:12:41 »
Ive introduced a 3 month probationary period for any new tenant,just to keep plots moving along a bit quicker.its a lot more work for me,but a lot less land wasted
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 17:39:44 »
There is a big difference in the fantasy and the reality of having an allotment.

I don't know why people are surprised when folk give up.

Very hard work so you have really got to have that dedication to growing your own.

gertie50

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 17:52:08 »
Hearing about people who take on an allotment and then after a couple of visits don't bother to do anything with the plot really infuriates me. I've been on the search for a plot in my area for some time now and still no joy.
I do have two small raised beds, but I would love an allotment plot.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 18:00:15 »
gertie where do you live? have you not found any sites at all?

gertie50

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 18:16:55 »
Hello Elvis2003

I live in Stourport in Worc. There are no council owned allotments in Stourport, so I tried googling private allotments in Stourport but its a waste of time, it leads me to council website to which I've emailed but had no reply as yet.

I've also tried the landshare website but no one in my area has a plot of land to share.

I'll just have to wait I guess.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 18:41:29 »
hi again gertie,ive just had a look at google,and your council website says there are 2 council allotment sites,beg your pardon if Im preaching to the converted,but if this is the case,phone the council and dont stop phoning till you get on a waiting list. good luck and let us know how you get on
Rach x

TividaleJo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 22:00:16 »
We had a new couple on our site who didnt know much about anything so we made friends and gave advice and everything to one day be asked "who gets your weeds out for you?" They did really believe that someone came and did the weeding, i did ask that when they found the person who did this to send them over to us,

We also had another plot holder who left saying that they didnt think it was worth it because the time and harvest they got from it wasnt enough!
When will people realise you need to put time and effort in to get a good harvest out this particular chap visited his plot about 6 times over the summer and only came then when asked to clean up.
Joanne

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 22:42:41 »
I got my letter from the council asking if I'm still interested in being on the waiting list (am currently at no. 128), and so I rang the council explaining my situation, which is that I help a friend who has an official partnership on her husband's cousin's plot (is everyone  keeping up here?).   I was put through to a very sensible sounding person, who has just taken over as allotments officer.  I was very impressed that she knew all about our rabbits getting in from the cemetry, but I am disgressing ....  We had a useful chat about all of the plots lying abandoned, and what could be done about it, and thankfully it has been decided to split some and offer half plots to newcomers. That should help some way towards reducing the 500 plus waiting list. She advised me to keep my name on the list as a safety net, even though I'm very happy with the arrangement I have at the moment.  I felt very much encouraged, and hopeful that we will now see some tightening up of the sloppy system that has been allowed to continue for far too long.   

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 23:15:30 »
Ive introduced a 3 month probationary period for any new tenant,just to keep plots moving along a bit quicker.

We have done this for about 4 years now.  Works wonders and there have been several candidates who never had the probation period transferred to a permanent tenancy due to not seeing them again since signing for the plot.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 07:58:25 »
I had to wait a long time to get my plot. When I first popped down to make a start after a few spade`s of work I though "What have I taken on here", but I stuck at it and over the following two months I dug over the whole plot, started a compost heap and  put up a shed. I could`nt do much the first year as I had the plot in the August. By the end of the second year I planted a soft fruit area (Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackcurrants, Goosgogs and Rhubarb). I use shop prices to put a value on my harvest and the first year it came to £1458.00 which I though was brill. Harvest has`nt been so good this past four years but that was because of the monsoon summers I had. Over the past 11 years I have been on the site I have seen them come and seen them go. To take on a plot takes commitment, People do not realizes how much effort it takes to produce food.  It is hard work but the rewards are well worth the effort. To taste a fresh carrot moment taken from the ground is wonderfull Shop bought carrots taste like cardboard compared to them.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 15:42:11 »
Hello Elvis2003

I live in Stourport in Worc. There are no council owned allotments in Stourport, so I tried googling private allotments in Stourport but its a waste of time, it leads me to council website to which I've emailed but had no reply as yet.

I've also tried the landshare website but no one in my area has a plot of land to share.

I'll just have to wait I guess.

There's some on the Kingsway, out beyond the school and some on Abberley Avenue where it junctions with the B4196 Areley Common. They both look like pretty big sites, so if Saturday morning is nice then I'd get over to them and see if there's anyone you can have a chat with. I don't know Stourport but when I was house hunting I was determined not to live too far from allotments so I have highly tuned Google Maps skillz when it comes to finding them.....

gertie50

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 17:22:08 »
Hello chriscross1966,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I will go over on Saturday and check them out.
Will let you know how I get on.

Many thanks, Gertie. :)

PaulaB

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 09:35:01 »
When I got my 1/4 plot last april I spent a happy few hours digging and had to call for help.  Someone had locked the gate and they had forgotten to tell me the code.

;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal