Author Topic: Remembrance Day  (Read 4261 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: Remembrance Day
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 07:56:33 »
Valmarg,
                 Sorry I can't give you an opinion on 'Strictly come dancing', I've never watched the programme,

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 15:19:43 »
Valmarg,
                 Sorry I can't give you an opinion on 'Strictly come dancing', I've never watched the programme,

Nor have we, but it was pointed out in the press that poppymania has gone a bit far.

valmarg

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 16:13:07 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10498482

The Memorial Arboretum is only a few miles down the road from where we live, although we have never been.

Thank you for posting that Ollie.  Muslims seem to get such a bad press these days, and they don't all deserve it.

OH and I had hospital appointments a few months back.  One late morning, and the other early afternoon.  Rather than leave and go back, we went for a walk into town.  While we were walking we were spoken to by two delightful young girls.  They were about six/seven years old, with their grandad.  We chatted with them, and and it was really nice.  They were asian, and I really don't want to be patronising, but they were really happy young girls, and they cheered us up noend (especially with our appointments hanging over us).

valmarg

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 17:12:52 »
The Memorial Arboretum is only a few miles down the road from where we live, although we have never been.

It's well worth a visit Valmarg...
Thanks for the link Ollie

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 01:05:13 »

It's well worth a visit Valmarg...

Yes. I'm sure it is.  From what I've seen of it on the telly, I think I would find it extremely difficult, insofar as despite some of my posts on here, I really am a big softie and I'm sure I would find it emotionally testing.

As I said earlier I am very fortunate as my family lost no one in WWII, although some did participate (dad included).  He was in the RAOC, and was part of the operation Market Garden, or as the film put it 'a bridge too far'.  He didn't speak much about his experiences, but one thing he did say was that the road from Nimegen to Arnhem was a raised road, much like a fairground duckshoot.  Any vehicles that tried to cross were sitting ducks and picked off by german artillary.

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal