Author Topic: Cabbage taste tests  (Read 1964 times)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Cabbage taste tests
« on: November 09, 2010, 22:49:33 »
I had the chance to do a taste test on two varieties of cabbage. The green Primo, against the red Kalibos. Cooked, I thought that the Primo tasted more like cabbage. The advertising suggests that Kalibos is suited to shredding raw onto salads, must try that tomorrow.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Cabbage taste tests
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 07:51:53 »
Ithink the reds generally have more flavour... but as we eat it raw in salads or cooked with apples and cloves it's not a fair test. The white cabbage from the centre of drumheads tastes good in salads and coleslaw. I like sauerkraut but no one else here does..  :'(

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 18:55:38 »
I do, Saddad, what recipe do you use? I've never quite been able to make it taste authentic....

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 19:02:36 »
I grew kalibos this year and found it best raw in salads! to me it was a little tasteless cooked except when it was cooked as a slow cooked cabbage with apples and spices.

Duke  :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 20:41:58 »
I do, Saddad, what recipe do you use? I've never quite been able to make it taste authentic....
We had a recipe from "young Tom" whose was a regular in the RAF before WW2 and whose wife came from Hamburg... sadly he's been dead about a decade and I don't know what we've done with it...
it was very good I remember...

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 22:49:39 »
Small are you after a recipe for cooked red cabbage? If so I could post mine, it came from my mum who picked it up when she lived in Holland. Lots of variations on a basic recipe.... probably a similar one to Saddad's  :)

small

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 22:57:37 »
I understood that sauerkraut was a white cabbage, I cook red cabbage with apple and onion, lovely but not quite 'right' - guess I'll just keep experimenting...

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 23:08:48 »
For red cabbage we use the recipe from Delia's cooker course...  :-X

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 18:58:33 »
Tasted Kalibos raw and cooked tonight, and think that it tastes better raw, when it has a surprisingly sweet taste and only a little cabbage aftertaste. Cooked, it does not taste as sweet.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal