Author Topic: duck and hen poo  (Read 1735 times)

gazzaroo

• Quarter Acre
duck and hen poo
« on: November 06, 2010, 15:25:06 »
iv been putting my duck hand hen poo over the garden ,,is this the right thing to do

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: duck and hen poo
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 15:39:24 »
Hiya, gazzaroo, welcome to the site  ;D
we put all our chicken muck, bedding etc into a 'dalek' type composter, I think it's a bit too ripe to use neat

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 16:43:21 »
Yes,needs to rotted down first as considered too "hot" to use fresh....very good for mulching around roses apparently
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 21:30:46 »
iv been putting my duck hand hen poo over the garden ,,is this the right thing to do

Depends what the object of the exercise is.  Watch you dont burn the grass, because fresh manure of any sort is still engaging in chemical reaction. Might be best to compost it with some brown stuff (eg straw, hay, old compost)
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 14:26:02 »
I just chucked a load of chicken poo pellets on my cleared land ahead of heavy rains tonight. I know that's not the same as fresh stuff but I thought that was better than binning it! I have compost to dig in too when I get round to it.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 16:26:04 »
In quantity it is safer when composted first..unless used as mulch over soil where there is no vegetation yet. This time of the year I just lay it over the bare soil with leaves and other stuff and let it mellow out over the time..by spring it will be all digested and turned into good stuff..UNLESS you use wood shavings as bedding..then I never put it on any soil untill first composting it...shavings aint good for the soil when fresh.
Plain droppings used sparingly in garden are not going to do any harm..after all you could have your girls dropping them straight from their backsides..and who is going to run around collecting them ::)..mine do it and only damage to the garden and plants comes from their eagerness to digging.
If you haven't noticed any problems yet with droppings..there is non ;) right or not..you will soon notice after spreading them about if you have over done it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal