Author Topic: what spuds are you planting next year  (Read 5689 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: what spuds are you planting next year
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 17:50:11 »
When we started our veggie plot, OH assured me I should grow loads of spuds to break up the ground.

I quickly discovered that in fact I was the one who broke up the ground in order to plant them, earth them up and dig them up.  Storing them proved to be a pain.   We also eat very few spuds so I've only grown a few in old dustbins or stacked tyres since then.   

This year the field behind me was spuds and they harvested the last of them in the dark which meant they missed three rows on a bend in the boundary.  Two friends and I went out and dug up bucket loads the next day.  I kept one lot and they took away two boot loads.

I can't see me bothering to grow spuds again.
Obxx - Vendée France

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 17:56:28 »
well I think I'm going to grow these, but am not 100% certain yet ...
Originally I grew spuds to help break new ground, now becasue we don't actually eat that many spuds I only tend to grow a few each of different varieties for fun, but have to say I can't resist the taste of home grown!

Will give Sharpes Express a go for an early (wasn't impressed by Lady Chrystal this year)
Then Red Duke of York, grew these this year and impressed
Mayan Gold or Trwighlight, grown for the 1st time this year and converted!
Thinking of trying Ratte instead of Anya
And maybe a few Desiree for roasties
Not sure if I will bother again with Blue Salad, will try 1 or 2 of these instead - Belle De Fontenany, Limzar Delikatese and Shetland Black, but not certain yet......

Oh and some Pink Fir Apples  :)

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 18:35:25 »
Thanks lincsyokel2, but I'm a back garden grower not a lottie.

Am tempted to give Wilja a whirl after all the comments above re baking spuds.

Seems everyone loves Charlotte though  :)

Doesnt stop you joining the local Allotment Association and getting cheap stuff. And they are cheap, cos most of them buy at wholesale price and sell on at no profit.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 20:39:32 »
'Rocket' and 'Sharpes Express', don't bother with main crop 'cos we always get blight on out allotment site !! >:(
You couldn't make it up!

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 21:56:52 »
Lady Christl, Cara and Desiree going in next year. Lady C's have always come up trumps, Cara did very well this year so giving them another go and if they perform well again I'll stick with them. Desiree will be a new one for me.

Ninny

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 09:25:37 »
Rocket,Kestrel, Picasso and a I'll give them a go,this year it was Red Cara...they were rubbish the slugs loved them.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 10:39:21 »
Well definitely the regulars...
Epicure, Red Duke of York, Anya, Desiree, Picasso and KIng Edwards. Then it's a free for all. We were very impressed with Charlotte so will move them up to a 3Kg. We have some heritage ones like Aura which we save the tubers from. Then it's Potao Day time...  ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 11:23:56 »
I haven't decided which ones to grow for next year but Cherie will definately be top of the list.

I don't think I will grow many Pink Fir Apples as they don't seem to store very well.  Everytime I go to get some to eat, I have to throw half a dozen or so away as they have rotted.  They were the last to be dug up so maybe they weren't dry enough.  Does anyone else have problems storing PFA?

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2010, 13:27:08 »

pumkinlover

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2010, 13:29:45 »
i find PFA stores well, but i am also late digging them up this year so if they do not store you will have found the answer. I prefer Anya now as so much easier not as knobbly. Anne

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 15:34:34 »
I'm a bit tempted to indulge in this collection
http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk/medwyn-williams-chelsea-collection/medwyns-winning-chelsea-collection-p338.html
from tattieman  ;D
Looks like a great selection, but once you add postage it works out at just over 42p per seed potato which compared to TG's 45p per lb seems quite pricey!

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 15:53:58 »
Aaron Pilot, Charlotte, Julliette, Ratte and Blue Danube are definites.
And then another look at what else is around.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 16:41:37 »
I haven't decided which ones to grow for next year but Cherie will definately be top of the list.

I don't think I will grow many Pink Fir Apples as they don't seem to store very well.  Everytime I go to get some to eat, I have to throw half a dozen or so away as they have rotted.  They were the last to be dug up so maybe they weren't dry enough.  Does anyone else have problems storing PFA?

eh?.... they always store like stones for me.... the problem can be chitting the things in the spring....

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2010, 22:10:46 »
I agree Chris... even if one or two go off in the sack the tubers are very resistant to rot and it doesn't spread...  :-\

small

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2010, 22:18:08 »
I wonder if I dug my PFA too early then.....every time I open the sack some more have gone yucky....every other variety has stored fine, I may not bother with them again, didn't taste as nice as I remember either.  My best success this year were Charlotte, new for me, huge crop, tasted lovely and keeping too.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2010, 22:26:32 »
Just using up the last of our charlotte now... they were excellent...  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2010, 23:28:17 »
I wonder if I dug my PFA too early then.....every time I open the sack some more have gone yucky....every other variety has stored fine, I may not bother with them again, didn't taste as nice as I remember either.  My best success this year were Charlotte, new for me, huge crop, tasted lovely and keeping too.

It's possible... they are a late maincrop, frost generally gets the  foliage before the plant dies off naturally (it will if we haven't had frost by the start of November though....Problem by then can be finding a dry (breezy is very good too) day to dig it on early in the morning and let them sit there till late afternoon to dry out a bit.... I ended up with mine on the kitchen floor laid out last thing at night, (I don't use the kitchen before I leave for work) then up again whne I got in from work so that I could have dinner etc, then back out again.....

chrisc

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2010, 07:52:27 »
I am also surprised about PFA.  I missed quite a lot last year and was digging them up in the spring totally unharmed by all the snow and frost.

I am going for more Mayan gold - liked them sautéd.  Grew Vitellotte some years ago and they got every disease going and a few extra.  An going to try the Purple Majesty and the Highland red salad. 

Linzer delikatesse is on my list again like the flavour and perhaps Ratte.  Might try international kidney though have not got the seedweed to go with it.  Might try some Blue Danube if not for the potatoes but loved the flowers.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2010, 13:13:07 »
Well, I was quite pleased with the earlies I had this year that were Agata variety and they were excellent. SO I will do those again.
For seconds, won't bother with Rattes again, I will go back to Red potatoes so either Desiree or Roseval, they always did well for me.
For maincrop I am in two minds. This year I did a variety called Mona Lisa. Now they did well despite the drought, when there is rain they must be crackers, but I find them a bit floury and they weren't that big. They keep well however. So i am not sure as to whether I will keep them or not. I did have a good variety in the past called Caesar, but i bought them by mail order whic I found expensive and can't seem to find them in the shops. SO might have a little maincrop experiment next year :)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal