Author Topic: When to sow peas  (Read 1985 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
When to sow peas
« on: December 30, 2004, 19:02:37 »
My allotment neighbour has her pea seedlings in already and without protection (although I'm not sure how they are doing since the harsh frosts we had after Xmas). All my books say I should only be sowing in March. Is that right? Can I sow now in my slightly heated conservatory and then plant out in feb under fleece? Is anyone else growing their peas yet, I know some of you started sweetpeas in late autumn. Are they frost hardy, I thought they weren't.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

DJEM

• Not So New ...
  • Gardener
Re: When to sow peas
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 22:35:50 »
I sowed my peas (feltham first) in November and (even after the recent frosts) they seem to be doing OK.
I think the idea is to sow a hardy early variety (usually roundskinned like Feltham first) and you'll get an early crop and then be able to sow a later variety (eg Kelvedon Wonder, or Ambassador [my selection]) afterwards and get a 2nd crop.
Dave

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 22:37:49 »
Hi,
Your neighbour would have sown an over-wintering variety back in Oct/Nov. These would have germinated and grown a certain amount before partly going dormant during winter before starting to grow again in the spring.
I started my sweetpeas in a cold frame like this and will transplant out in the spring.

Last year I sowed 'first-early' peas inside on Feb 15, planted out on March 30, and had fresh peas for June 1st.
I would advise this than trying peas now.
Thomas

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 23:01:56 »
Hi, Jesseve, some people on our site sow peas overwinter but with varied success I'm afraid.  Like thomasb we sow ours in the greenhouse in spring (early and late maturing varieties) and when I plant them out the weather and soil are warmer so I also do a second sowing direct into the ground (nearby not the same rows) and this spreads the harvesting season.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

muckspreader

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 08:25:36 »
leave it till about the middle of February  get some old plastic guttering in 4ft lenghts, block the ends with tape or polythene fill them up with compost, sow peas as you would in the soil, either cover with fleece or put them in a greenhouse it does not have to be heated. when the time is right open one end and slide all the lot out into a small trench this way there is no root disturbance

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 09:34:12 »
Okay that makes sense that they're a hardy variety she has planted. The ones I have are Ambassador so I'll wait until March like the pack and books say. Thank all for the advice, I can't wait till spring!  :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal