Author Topic: Tenancy  (Read 3026 times)

Esther2

Tenancy
« on: November 04, 2010, 20:55:01 »
Hi folks. My first post. Im hoping someone can help. Has anyone got a joint tenancy on the allotment eg husband and wife? Theyve told me cant be done. Thanks.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Tenancy
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 21:09:10 »
Is there any practical difficutly with just one of you owning the tenancy?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 21:14:39 »
as i understand this its because say a couple spilts up,how would the plot be split between them...therefore its easier for the landlord to handle.harsh i agree. I as sec am allowed to put as many names as asked on a tenancy agreement,but its only the first name that "counts"
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 21:36:24 »
as i understand this its because say a couple spilts up,how would the plot be split between them...therefore its easier for the landlord to handle.harsh i agree. I as sec am allowed to put as many names as asked on a tenancy agreement,but its only the first name that "counts"
It's not the council's problem, they don't have to split anything.  It would be for the couple to work out amoungst themselves who gets to keep it, just like with everything else they own jointly.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 21:38:24 »
just repeating what i was told,again,not something i agree with
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 23:08:01 »
We have couples names on allotments on our site.  If one gives up then the plot can go to next of kin without question.  As for the divorce / separation thing - not had to deal with this as yet but I guess the plot could be split so they get half each as we do now give out half plots. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 19:46:41 »
At one time a plot holder was allowed to put another name on his plot but we stopped it as it was a way of skipping the waiting list, now only one name is allowed on the lease and no garden can be passed on without going through the association who take into consideration the garden going to a direct relative before it is offered to the waiting list.
As for a couple who split and both names are on the lease then i would say its for them to come to amenable agreement and unless something else develops its no concern of the association if they remain within the rules.

I think Esther your problem may be the allotment rules
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 21:35:45 »
We are allowed joint tenancys, and if one person decides to give up, the other named person can keep the plot, but if they are not named on the tenancy then they can not keep the plot, instead it goes to the next person on the list.

You can't add names, if you want a joint tenancy, you have to do it when you first get your plot, and for each person named you have to pay a £3.50/year admin fee.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal