Author Topic: apple identification  (Read 1290 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
apple identification
« on: November 15, 2010, 14:30:52 »
Does this apple look familiar to you?
[attachment=1]
It is something I'm going to send to Brogdale for ident. but thought to ask you lot first.
It is eater, firm-fleshed, sweet and oblong-shaped...and the tree is old.
I'm going to craft it next spring to see if the size of the fruit will improve. At the moment the fruit is very small but could be because the tree is been "donkey's years" without any care and attention..just left to be in the middle of the golf course.
Nobody knows anymore who planted, when, why...what variety...it could be something that was left on site when the golf course was created and the land separated from the nearby estate.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: apple identification
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 14:52:45 »

Yes..they are oblong..but for some reason the fruit looks almost round in every photo ::)..trust me ::)
[attachment=1]

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 18:35:36 »
a pic of the whole tree might be useful or a description and location - there are quite a lot of conical shaped apples - maybe adam's pearmain could be one suggestion that certainly looks like your examples

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 18:57:34 »
You'd need to have the fruit in hand to have much chance of identifying it. Old trees usually do have smaller fruit.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:15:29 »
I have been taking camera full of pics but most of them I cannot attach here for some reason >:(..I've been trying and trying..looks like they are too 'large' to be downloaded >:(
Yes, I had a look Adam's pearmain and description is very similar and few others that I've found ::)..I think it takes more detail inspection of stalks, inside the shape and opening of the core etc. and most books don't have sort of info available..and I don't have enough experiece so exact comparison. Oh well..thank you for trying.
I've made my parcel up added all the info that I know of..with some photos too and I shall send it today.
Next year I shall tackle rest of the trees that grows in same location. It was too late for them now as there wasn't any fruit left to see. But now that I know they exist I shall "hunt" all the info there is and bother some members at the golf course too..maybe I can "dust" some of the older members memories untill its too late ::) ;D...one can only live in hope ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:19:20 by goodlife »

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 07:34:12 »
An elderly chap I know spent years grafting and crossing his own trees and has several which are not identifiable as a specific variety.

You may well have the only tree in the world growing those actual apples Some old gardener could have done something similar for a bit of a hobby, died and took his knowledge with him.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 23:13:59 »
It does happen, but don't assume it. We've managed to identify 70-odd old apple trees on my site, and haven't found a proven example of this yet, though there we still have unidentified trees.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal