Author Topic: My son's campaign to stop housing development on former allotments  (Read 2883 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
My son is involved in a campaign to stop housing development on former allotments in Harpenden, and to have it re-instated as allotments.

Can anyone offer advice, help, support?
If you are on Facebook, would you join his group please?

This is from his Facebook page Save Westfield Allotment Gardens Harpenden

In 1997 consent was granted by the government to sell off former allotment land (the fenced off area at the end of Willoughby Road) to build homes for 'key workers'. An insensitive planning application by Harpenden Town Council in 2005 for 42 flats was refused.

In 2010, the town Council wants to see 20+ social/affordable houses built there. These houses are unlikely to be for local people, but will be allocated to people form St Albans or outside the area as part of a district 'pot' of social / affordable housing.

As a result the Westfield Action Group (WAG) was formed. There has been a high profile local media campaign, four petitions signed by local residents, numerous protest letters to St Albans and Harpenden Councils, and the lobbying of St Albans councillor.

As a result, St Albans Cabinet decided to:
-Revoke agreement to grant right of way over their land
-Ask Harpenden council to restore the site for community garden space
-Agreed to refurbish the two playing areas

However, Harpenden Town Council has 'called in' the decision.

Why?

The council stands to make a sizeable sum of money from selling the land.
They are using 'Social/affordable housing as an excuse to do this. They are ignoring the wishes of the local people.

What happens now?

The decision will go to St Albans Overview and Scrutiny Committee to be discussed.
The meeting will be at St Albans City and District Council on Tuesday 23rd November at 7.00pm.

How can you help?
Join the facebook group and show your support.
Come to the meeting on 23rd November where Carol Hedges will be speaking on our behalf.
If you are in the local Westfield area, use your vote in next May's council election. None of our local councillors has supported or helped us.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: My son's campaign to stop housing development on former allotments
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 16:09:30 »
This just what they have done at Court Lane allotments. The council won and now they are going to build supposedly affordable housing on the site which was previously allotments.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 16:09:53 »
Good luck with the campaign...  :)

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 17:50:10 »
Joined, can't come to the meeting but stick to your guns and good luck.

You do wonder how they can make a load of money out of 'affordable houses' ???
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 19:55:05 »
      I hope this is useful
     Statutory allotments are protected via Section 8 of the Allotments Act 1925 which requires that local authorities seek the Secretary of State’s consent for disposal or appropriation to another use. Consent cannot be given unless the Secretary of State is satisfied that certain criteria are met. In 2001 it was made a requirement for local authorities to demonstrate that they had promoted and publicised allotments in their area before consent for disposal would be granted was also introduced. Clarified criteria for disposal were also issued to local authorities and Government Offices in February 2001. Now local authorities are required to demonstrate before consent is granted that:
•   the allotments in question is not necessary;
•   adequate alternative provision will be made for displaced plot holders;
•   the waiting list has been taken into account;
•   and that they have actively publicised the availability of sites.
In addition, Planning Policy Guidance 17 (PPG17) requires that local authorities make provision for all types of open space that may be of public value. It also requires local authorities to undertake robust assessments of local needs for, and audits of, existing open space, sports and recreational facilities and to establish standards for new provision. It is expected that by implementing the guidance in PPG17, local authorities should make adequate provision for allotments.
Furthermore, if an allotment authority is of the opinion that there is a demand for allotments in its area, it is required under Section 23 of the Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908, to provide a sufficient number of allotments and to let them to persons residing in its area who want them.
Written representations may be made to the local authority on the need for allotments by any 6 residents on the electoral register or persons liable to pay council tax, and the local authority must take those representations into account (section 23(2) of the Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908). The Council must assess whether there is a demand for allotments in their area. If the council decides that there is a demand for allotments; they have a statutory duty to provide a sufficient number of plots. In terms of the duty to provide under section 23 of the Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908 there is no time limit for provision once it has been established that there is a demand.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 04:06:14 »
Thank you for the replies and support.

LesH, I will forward the information to my son, it looks very helpful, thank you.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal