Author Topic: White screen?  (Read 3485 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
White screen?
« on: November 05, 2010, 13:54:36 »
I have a Samsung NC10 notebook which I am very happy with, all of a sudden it has started this irritating problem. The screen goes white and no pressing of any keys solves it. It sometimes happens when hooked up to the mains and if I take the lead out and wiggle it on the way out, the screen goes back to normal.

Any ideas?

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
Re: White screen?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 15:15:26 »
I would be tempted, as a first step, to check on the Samsung site to see if there are more recent versions of the BIOS and video driver than you currently have. If so, download them and install them.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 18:38:28 »
Katie,

It seems as this is a fairly common issues fro NC10s..

Is it under warantee - if so then take it back to Samsung or phone there helpdesk - this page may help http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/warranty/warrantyInformation.do?page=POLICY.WARRANTY

There are some posts on these forums but you will have to decide if you want to mess with it - or take it to a repair shop.

http://www.sammynetbook.com/forum/threads/10949-White-screen-(of-death-)

1. Remove the battery.

2. Peel off the little rubber pads from the four corners of the face of the lid and unscrew the corresponding four screws.

3. Using a pocket knife or similar object, peel the face off the lid. There are places along the top where some sort of adhesive keeps it together. Elsewhere, the are snaps that pop open as you peel the face off. Do not be alarmed.

4. Unscrew the four screws at the base of the LCD panel, freeing the panel from the hinges. Commence handling the LCD panel. Notice where the cable flattens out and adheres to the back of the panel, Have some fun peeling the first inch or so of it off and sticking it back on.

5. Go on and re-insert the battery and fire up your computer. Without any safety precautions, proceed to dork around with the wiring. Once you have confirmed that your problem is solved, find a nice way to lace the wiring into place and screw the LCD panel back on.

6. Continue staring at the computer screen. Turn the brigness up to full blast and have a sandwich. Enjoy the computer. If the problem is still fixed, shut the computer down, remove the battery and screw everything back together.

This fixed me and it might fix you, too. Bear in mind that, if you are still under warranty and have a few weeks to blow, you might be better off sending the machine to Samsung. This fix is for people who need to do it themselves and enjoy opening things up. Talent is not required
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 09:07:03 »
Thanks for the detailed reply, I used to build pcb's for a living so might risk having a go myself. It's a shame cos otherwise it's a great little piece of kit

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:37:10 »
I like the NC series as well - lovely little bits of kit..
I have done similar things to other laptops without too much trouble but it's not everyones cuppa!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal