The Show > Sunflowers

Giant Sunflowers

(1/2) > >>

sunflower_info:
Hi,

I found this site while doing a google search for giant sunflowers.  I grow large sunflowers as my hobby, and I'm always looking for people who share my interest.  If anyone knows of any seed sources of giant cultivars, let me know because I'm always looking for new seeds.  Anyone have any questions for me, I'm always happy to answer.

I have a website with some pictures of my plants.
http://www.geocities.com/sunflower_info/

Here are some pictures of some of my sunflowers that I've grown over the past few years. 

Admin aka Dan:
Blimey,

Those are some giant sunflowers!

Not bad marrow either.

Welcome the the site.

Cheers

Dan

Pete:
Can't grow them that big  :P only about 5ft (in old money) but i do have some nice visitors to mine

Pete

sunflower_info:
It was my first time trying to grow marrows.  I'm hooked on growing them now.  I just planted a few seeds and all the marrows ended up about 30 pounds.  I'm going to put some more effort into it next year.  Bernard Lavery gave me the seeds, and he is the king of giant vegetables.  He had the record at one time, at about 108 pounds.  Marrows are almost unheard of in the U.S.A.  I'm not sure why people in the U.S. don't grow them.  I've been giving seeds to my friends to try to get people to grow them.  I think they are a lot of fun. 
    I like growing them for food, as well as trying to grow them large.  I would pick some off while they are small.  They taste similar to zucchini.  I actually liked it more.  I've read that some people think they are watery.  I didn't notice that when they are small.  I tried to eat one of the big ones and that was a bit watery and it didn't have much taste.  eseeds.com was having a winter clearance; so I bought some small varieties.  I got table dainty, tiger cross, a white variety, and Unwins Globe marrow.  The globe marrow looks really interesting.  I'm looking forward to growing them this spring.  I have to grow them at my mom's house to avoid any of them crossing with my giant variety.  Anyone ever grow that before?  Does it taste any different than standard varieties?

Brian

Pete:
Hello Brian, what do you grow them things in? tried for ages to get really big ones but as yet my record is 5ft  :-X, any help with the type of compost you use and after care would be most appreciated.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version