Author Topic: Giant Sunflowers  (Read 6775 times)

sunflower_info

• Not So New ...
    • Giant Sunflowers
Giant Sunflowers
« on: December 26, 2004, 08:49:26 »
Hi,

I found this site while doing a google search for giant sunflowers.  I grow large sunflowers as my hobby, and I'm always looking for people who share my interest.  If anyone knows of any seed sources of giant cultivars, let me know because I'm always looking for new seeds.  Anyone have any questions for me, I'm always happy to answer.

I have a website with some pictures of my plants.
http://www.geocities.com/sunflower_info/

Here are some pictures of some of my sunflowers that I've grown over the past few years. 

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
Re: Giant Sunflowers
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 09:32:19 »
Blimey,

Those are some giant sunflowers!

Not bad marrow either.

Welcome the the site.

Cheers

Dan

Pete

• Not So New ...
  • Dragon Ladies
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 19:11:46 »
Can't grow them that big  :P only about 5ft (in old money) but i do have some nice visitors to mine

Pete

sunflower_info

• Not So New ...
    • Giant Sunflowers
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 04:25:00 »
It was my first time trying to grow marrows.  I'm hooked on growing them now.  I just planted a few seeds and all the marrows ended up about 30 pounds.  I'm going to put some more effort into it next year.  Bernard Lavery gave me the seeds, and he is the king of giant vegetables.  He had the record at one time, at about 108 pounds.  Marrows are almost unheard of in the U.S.A.  I'm not sure why people in the U.S. don't grow them.  I've been giving seeds to my friends to try to get people to grow them.  I think they are a lot of fun. 
    I like growing them for food, as well as trying to grow them large.  I would pick some off while they are small.  They taste similar to zucchini.  I actually liked it more.  I've read that some people think they are watery.  I didn't notice that when they are small.  I tried to eat one of the big ones and that was a bit watery and it didn't have much taste.  eseeds.com was having a winter clearance; so I bought some small varieties.  I got table dainty, tiger cross, a white variety, and Unwins Globe marrow.  The globe marrow looks really interesting.  I'm looking forward to growing them this spring.  I have to grow them at my mom's house to avoid any of them crossing with my giant variety.  Anyone ever grow that before?  Does it taste any different than standard varieties?

Brian

Pete

• Not So New ...
  • Dragon Ladies
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 14:44:20 »
Hello Brian, what do you grow them things in? tried for ages to get really big ones but as yet my record is 5ft  :-X, any help with the type of compost you use and after care would be most appreciated.

Pete

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 14:22:17 »
I wrap them in foil with skin cut off and cored,put unhealthy amount of butter and toms and onions in, wrap and crucify on hot BBQ to crisp on side for quite a while, nice while still hot.

sunflower_info

• Not So New ...
    • Giant Sunflowers
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 07:49:47 »
  I was able to get some of those sunflowers that big with no fertilizer.  The most important thing when growing giant sunflowers is to have the right variety.  Not all giant varieties are equal.  I do really well with those Bott's Strain sunflowers and can get 14 feet tall plants with little or no fertilizers. 
   As far as soil, I have a truck drop off a load of composted manure every year and I work it into the soil.  I also add grass cuttings, leaves, pine needles and newspapers into the soil. 

steve9871

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 13:28:56 »
when can u put the seeds in can they stand frost or will they be ok in a cold green house

Rowan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 17:42:48 »
Wow, they are amazing! Incredible sizes!

How do you get them to stand up, though? By the end of the Summer mine are always flopping around, it doesn't matter how I try to stake them.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 20:14:10 »
Sunflower info

Do you keep the seeds for the birds ??  I would say you would get quite a nice supply ! :)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal