Author Topic: Valor potatoes - I'm impressed.  (Read 2199 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Valor potatoes - I'm impressed.
« on: October 20, 2010, 18:27:02 »
One of our plotholders gave me a couple of Valor potatoes to try today, I baked one and it was lovely.  She said they got a very heavy crop off them and all the potatoes were a decent size, the ones she gave me were about 12oz each.

Does anyone here grow them?  I think I will next year.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Re: Valor potatoes - I'm impressed.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 19:11:28 »
I have grown them in the past and they are excellent.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 02:11:29 »
I grew them this year. Taste good baked, but they weren't as big as the Pentland Dell's which also tasted good. Will be growing both next year on my new plot cos I'd like to find a reliable nice biggie for baking.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 14:14:42 »
I have grown Valor for 3 years now and am very pleased with them, very good baker and make lovely chips ( I don't deep fry but cook   in oven) and I have found them to store very well so I will continue growing them.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 23:31:12 »
Good to hear that they store well Next year my plan is to grow them back to back with Pentland Dell (which did well on my old plot), Setanta (good taste, disease resistant, wish thye were a fraction bigger)  and Kestrel (cos lots of people seem to go on about it, and seeing as there's a potato/seed swap day organised by my local allotmnent association that's barely 400 yards from where I live I might well put in an experimental row and you can guarnatee at least half of that will be bakers .....
chrisc

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 10:16:02 »
I have grown them in the past and they are excellent.

Thanks for the recommendation/suggestion.  Never grown them, seems we missed out.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 13:21:59 »
I grew them this year. Taste good baked, but they weren't as big as the Pentland Dell's which also tasted good. Will be growing both next year on my new plot cos I'd like to find a reliable nice biggie for baking.

I've tried 'Winston' this year and will be growing them again next year, have had some huge bakers! Oh, and they taste good too! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal