Author Topic: Lidl's fruit trees  (Read 13942 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Lidl's fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 21:26:43 »
Thanks for that manics :) I need a couple of these.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 00:43:24 »
I wonder if they can manage to get the right varieties in the right packets?  I still have not managed to get a golden delicious even though I have bought two/ :(

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:40:20 »
don't forget  :)

oliveoyl_25

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 12:17:03 »
Just got 4 this morning  :)

Stakes from the local garden centre cost almost as much as the trees though!

Off planting....

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 14:51:28 »
got 2 different plums, one's president, can't recall the other one, just planted them, good roots, we'll have to see if they are really plums now  ;D

oliveoyl_25

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 15:35:29 »
All of mine have new buds on... is this a good thing or bad at this time of year?

I got Pippin & Bramley apples, President plum + Concorde pear... well, I think I have, but judging by what people are saying they might be something else entirely  :-\

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 15:54:03 »
I've just picked up a bramley and a president plum - well that's what they're labelled anyway.  With last week's currants I feel really chuffed - good old Lidl!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 17:19:38 »
I went really early - and had to wait an hour as they couldn't get to the pallet till all the chilled stuff was out on the shelves. At least they gave me a chair to sit on while I waited!

I bought a Stella cherry to replace the potted one I bought in February which died on me and a Golden Delicious apple as pollinator for my Jonagold. Also bought a Doyenne du Comice Pear and another Stella Cherry for my friend as a Christmas present.

Managed to plant my two out this afternoon and will pot up the presents tomorrow - weather permitting.

I tried to get a refund for the Stella cherry which died on me but they told me I would have to write to H.O. as they aren't allowed to do refunds in the store on plants. I might just do that. My friend bought one at the same time and hers died too. They both had very little in the way of roots (hidden by way of being potted up!). Odd that, as the apple trees and my friend's plum tree, bought at the same time, grew away very strongly.

Tricia

Tricia

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 19:48:36 »
I got myselt the pear one today.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 20:40:00 »
I took a look at them but someone had left them somewhere too warm and they were sprouting.  So I am hoping they might have some more in a few weeks time. 

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 21:05:23 »

I bought a pear tree. It didn't have any buds on it in fact it looked dead :o Its green where I scraped away a little bit of bark :). I planted it yesterday and will grow it as a cordon along with some other Lidls apple trees I am growing as cordons.

Duke

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 21:14:56 »
ooooh thats cheered me up  ;D will try my local lidle in the nex few days, got to be better than growling about not getting take that tickets...  :'(
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 12:19:44 »
My local one still ahda  few left yesterday.... I only got my Stella cherry planted up this morning... big pot 50:50 topsoil and compost...

looked good though the rootball is a bit small....

chrisc

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 15:52:00 »
Bad luck again. I potted up the Doyenne du Comice pear - looked good, but the Stella cherry was as dead as a dodo. I started by cutting off a broken branch, but then found all the others were dead too - back to the stem, so had a look at the roots. They were all dead too, so I called Lidl H.O. They called my local Lidl, who said they still had three in stock. I was told to take the dead tree back for a replacement. When they gave me the replacement I said I wanted to check it out - and found that several branches were dead back to the stem, so I went to check for myself and eventually found just one that was green on most of the branches. What a palaver!
While I was on the phone to H.O. I asked about the email I had sent last week about the two potted trees which died soon after purchase last February. I was told it has been referred to the appropriate department for a refund, so with luck I'll get the £10 back soon.

Tricia

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 09:51:44 »
not moaning.... well maybe  ;D but the four pears I bought over 4 years ago I am still waiting for blossom - I know you have to be patient with fruit but..... at least they still look healthy which is more than I can say for their bundles of blueberry plants which were mere sticks - cheap might be cheap but we still have expectations  8)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 12:39:04 »
I got two plum trees, they looked weedy compared to the stella cherries but alive and hardening off after their week under the hot air vent in the shop!

fingers crossed.
x sunloving

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 13:37:24 »
Dont be put off buying these trees. In 2009 I bought 10 fruit trees apples and pears from lidl and trained them as cordons. They all survived.  They may not always be what they say they are on the label infact I dont think the Bramley looks like a Bramley but it is a tart cooking apple. The only one that didn't produce fruit this year was the Comice pear but the tree produced leaves so is definately alive. The conference pear gave us two pears!! while the apples gave us a very good crop. I think pears might take longer to give out a decent crop.
The price makes these trees worth buying

Duke

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 16:25:04 »
Duke, could you start another post, telling us how to turn these trees into cordons, I'm tempted to try it  ;D

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 17:36:11 »
Manics ....

It was Deb P* that got me started with growing fruit trees as cordons I took advice from her so she is the real expert ;D I am sure she wont mind if you ask her advice but I am also happy to let you know what I did too .

Duke :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal