Author Topic: planting bulbs now?  (Read 1223 times)

kymrob

• Half Acre
planting bulbs now?
« on: November 20, 2010, 15:47:35 »
just brought some bulbs onions, garlic and flowers from wilkenson 2p a pk some started to sprout should i hold of planting them as it damp and foggy here in norfolk or would it be ok to go ahead and plant? pks says oct to dec

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: planting bulbs now?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 17:45:00 »
I would bung them all in now, though possibly you could hold back the garlic and shallot bulbs for spring planting.

The ground is still quite warm so they should get going as long as it's not completely waterlogged.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 09:10:10 »
Hi
i often get bulbs in the wilkies sale about now and if the weather is bad just plant them into seed trays the 40 slot inserts are perfect. then leave them in the unheated greenhouse. They dont dry up this way. with garlic i put the bag in the fridge until i can plant them to.

i never really worry about what it says on the pack for bulbs just get them in when you can
good luck
x sunloving

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 06:26:18 »
I got loads of spring bulbs from Wilkinsons too for 10p and i put them in at the end of last week.
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

garrett

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 16:31:14 »
It's still fine to plant Tulips and Daffodils as long as they're not sprouting in the excessive warmth of the shop. But I think it's a bit too late for any sprouting Crocus and Snowdrops/Fritillaria might be dried out in their packets by now.

Then again, at 2p a packet, I'd still be tempted!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal