Author Topic: Its the time for gathering leaves  (Read 4633 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Its the time for gathering leaves
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 16:55:31 »
So I can use garotta on my collected leaves?
Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 15:29:22 »
You can..but it aint gonna do much good..as leaves don't compost same as rest of the garden stuff do..
Leaves need bacteria and other little things from soil to 'digest'/break them down..they don't heat up at all on their own so garotta is bit waisted on them.
Your leaves just need moisture, contact with soil,  time and patience and they will sort themselves out ;)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 16:41:58 »
I'm going to collect leaves this year and turn them into our heavy clay soil, that should help break the clay up. My wife persuaded me to buy a Blower/Vac, but it's harder work using that than using the broom and hand-boards. I've already collected a lot but there is an old oak with masses more leaves on it.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 17:16:18 »
You git Lottiman, mind you your a bit from home.  ;)       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 12:21:58 »
You can..but it aint gonna do much good..as leaves don't compost same as rest of the garden stuff do..
Leaves need bacteria and other little things from soil to 'digest'/break them down..they don't heat up at all on their own so garotta is bit waisted on them.
Your leaves just need moisture, contact with soil,  time and patience and they will sort themselves out ;)
mix them in with old used compost, then apply some garotta.............
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 14:46:59 »
Can I dig in any of this year's fallen leaves when I turn over my soil in a week or so's time. I have a small plot that I plan to leave empty over winter as I plan to dig in a load of compost and manure - some now and some in early spring - to try to condition the soil a bit. I also want to let the frosts get to it. I though I would just dig in the leaves where they have fallen - which is fairly evenly across the whole plot. 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 16:16:37 »
Code: [Select]
Can I dig in any of this year's fallen leaves when I turn over my soil in a week or so's time..yes you can..after all worms would pull them in if left it to the nature...
Last couple of years I've stopped digging the leaves in and instead leaving them as thick mulch over previously dug or weeded ground..usually just weeded...my theory is that with mulch layer on top I get less compaction and and the soil stay much 'fluffier' than letting winter rain to 'hammer' the surface and wash all nutrients away.
At the moment I've got 4-6 inches of leaves, grass clippings etc. on top of the some of the beds which I may turn over in spring..that depends what it all looks like then. If there is plenty of weed growth I'll dig it in if not I carry on mulching.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal