Author Topic: Its the time for gathering leaves  (Read 4634 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Its the time for gathering leaves
« on: October 19, 2010, 19:46:12 »
The leaves are arriving.  Managed to source quite a lot last year and put them in a dalek.  They seemed to rot down quite quickly but would a wire netting container be better,

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Its the time for gathering leaves
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 19:48:29 »
One possible problem with a dalek is that it can dry out. Wet the leaves as you put them in. Autumn leaves have almost no nitrogen and rot slowly, so I'd add an ample quantity of piss to get them moving.

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 09:58:21 »
...or grass clippings if you can't balance on the lip of the dalek...

What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 10:02:27 »
Yes my car is full of Lewisham bags full of leaves!  They handily leave them outside my house and outside our plot.  I do get some odd looks as I pile them into the boot of my car but Im sure none minds!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 10:07:35 »
Last year I managed to keep them moist and also sourced a supply of nitrogen.   It was wet last year in October so they arrived quite soggy.  Then they got buried in the spring.  I have to say that the area where they went is now very full of worms.  Tomatoes and potatoes seem to like them but not sure about the beans.

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 14:14:10 »
As you chop down your runner beans and other beans..add them in layers, chopped up, between the leaves..they seem to rot down quicker...or keep them in black bags well wet for at least 2 yrs....
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 16:32:06 »
Looking forward to this year's crop of "where I acquired/ pinched/ pilfered my leaves from" stories. ;D

If anyone in the York area needs some sacks to collect them in, I've got lots to spare.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 17:16:36 »
Last year I bagged up 20 sacks of leaves just from my front drive, I was well chuffed cos I'd found a use for the charity bags that come through the door but no-one ever collects, only to discover now that these bags are very bio-degradable, so behind the sheds I've got piles of unrotted leaves half held together with shredded plastic.  Back to the drawing board on that one....

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 17:28:11 »
Biodegradeable or chewable (by mice or rats looking for a warm place to nest)? ;)

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 20:27:41 »
 >:(

The leaves remain stubbornly undropped here in Lincolnshire.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 21:23:57 »
Last year I bagged up 20 sacks of leaves just from my front drive, I was well chuffed cos I'd found a use for the charity bags that come through the door but no-one ever collects, only to discover now that these bags are very bio-degradable, so behind the sheds I've got piles of unrotted leaves half held together with shredded plastic.  Back to the drawing board on that one....
sorry small but that did raise a chuckle from me...sounds just the kind of thing that i would do! on a positive note,those bags would be ideal to transport the leaves to your plot,throwing them in a dalek bags and all
hope your leaves are rotting happily away now
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 22:20:30 »
Myself and borlotti have secretly been pilfering leaves from the council for the last couple of weeks,  :-X keep it under your hat.    :-X :-X :-X
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

TheJerseyBean

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 20:18:31 »
Leaves normally take  12 months to compost but if you shred them first put in black bags wetted they only take 3 months, my vacume has a shredder attachment, tried using a garden shredder but it did not shred the leaves.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 20:35:06 »
Leaves in compost bin takes ages to 'rot'..I run mower over mine..and all that chopped up leaves and some grass clippings go straight over the soil on beds..by spring worms have more and less sorted it all out and what little remains will be turned over or just buried under the next layer of mulch..
Only the oak leaves goes into compost ..those take much longer to 'rot' and I'll always have one that is processing some..worth of waiting though..really crumbly and lovely stuff once done ;D

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 21:29:31 »
I find that a few layers of soil between layers of leaves compresses the mixture, and seems to act as an activator too, as long as the pile stays wet. Mine rot down easily in 12 months.
You can use compost activator too.
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

flytrapman

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 11:40:59 »
My local council have delivered leaves for the last 3 years they have a few sweet wrappers and drink cans, there environment crime unit tried to stop it this year and claimed I had to obtain waste transfer licences etc and would not accept it was compostable material, however it has been sorted out now
I compost them with woodchip and grass clippings

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 14:19:13 »
Ohhh...licence for transfering leaves ::) ::)..sounds like coucils have too much time in their hands..what next...no wonder everything cost more..why don't they cut costs by composting all the licence papers and forget it ...for leaves ::)

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 16:03:00 »
SSSHHHHHH!  been picking up fallen leaves from paths and grassy areas.  All been washed by the rain.

The council are cutting down on staff so hope I can pick up more next weekend and the weekend after.  I don't collect in bags but am lucky to have been given a large handy garden trolley.  The only problem is that the trip to the plot is not very level.

I prefer to put the leaves into a wire netting "box" and if we have dry weather put water over the top.

Anyway happy leaf hunting everyone.

Bill

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 16:45:17 »
There was 40+ council bags stacked up either side of the road at the end of the park where my lottie is, needlessly to say when I went back for them the council lorry had taken them away, when its normal road sweepings the bloody bags stay at the top of our street for 4 to 7 days.  >:( >:( >:( 
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 16:52:17 »
Sorry Kev it was a real struggle to fit them in me van! ;D ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal