Author Topic: chriscross1966's squash swap and mass buy 2011  (Read 28458 times)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
Re: chriscross1966's squash swap and mass buy 2011
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2011, 16:33:03 »
Hi All,

I am a little uncomfortable at the fact that I have selected 6 varieties on the swap list and yet when time comes, I have nothing to package off to anyone as none of what I can offer is needed.

That said I still want the seeds as I have got squash fever.  In addition to these I am also buying some seeds on-line which are: £1.25 for eight seeds, two each of tuffy Sweet (acorn), delicata, utchiki kuri and blue kuri and also a packet of 3 rolet squah seeds for 75p.

If anyone would like some of these seeds then I would be more than happy to buy a packet of each when I buy mine, by way of contribution to the swap

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2011, 16:41:22 »
Decision made and added to the sheet.  Delicata for you pigeonseed :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2011, 22:41:09 »
Oh that's lovely! I've always heard good things about the taste of delicata. But you didn't need to as far as I'm concerned. I could change one of my requests to one of the other things you offered.

Actually looking at that sheet now - there's so much offered, with no one taking it! We've all gone seed mad. And I think a few people want the black futsu you've offered.

Anyway, your kind addition of delicata is much appreciated.  :)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2011, 00:39:23 »
Hopefully I will receive the seed in the post tomorrow.

Have just been doing an inventory of my grow list and here it is:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MdnUummtlyaBbKM2tjuSKd7viJOfaJD0_qi5G6lEtYY/edit?hl=en&authkey=CO6mrvUI

I think I have gone squash mad.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2011, 09:26:30 »
Nice one dandytown - and yes you have a pumpkintastic list there!! Happy growing  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2011, 09:40:03 »
OK folks are there any more for any more?.... I'll try and have a look at the options to us over the weekend and get it sorted out as to who is sending what to me...

chrisc

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2011, 13:01:04 »
Just in time as my seeds came today.  I ordered two packets (one for me and one to share) of 'Squash Surprise'.... can you see where this is going?

8 Seeds, 2 each of Delicata, Tuffy Sweet, Blue Kuri and Utchiki Kuri and I haven't the foggiest which is which!  The seeds are distinguishable though.

Pigeon seed, I could either send you just like the whole packet, one of each seed or the four biggest seeds as I am guessing the two of the bigger ones are delicata an.  Either way I have eight seeds that require a home.  Anyone want a surprise seed in there package?

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2011, 13:12:09 »
I just had a fun conversation with the lady who supplied the seeds at moreveg and she kindly helped me identify which seed was which.

I felt like a a complete plonker but problem solved  ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2011, 22:10:26 »
phew! How come they were mixed together? Did you order them like that or did they get mixed up after? (Sorry am I being thick?  :))

And what a list of squash for 2011 - where are they all going to go? Mind you, I bet you can grow stuff underneath them if you tie them up bamboos. (Am I repeating myself from earlier in the thread? Bit tired  ;D)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2011, 22:44:01 »

I didn't read the small print.  On the packet is says squash surprise and you will not know what you get until they grow.  Would you like the mix as I have no use for more or do you just want me to single out the delicata?

I have roughly a 10x10m patch for 10 plants to trail along the ground as I just will not get it all dug so therefore they can help suppress weeds.  Its a bit snug and I have gone from 2 each of 5 plants to 1 each of 10.
Rolet, Loofah and Tromba will be grown up supports, over sheds and anywhere they want to go within reason.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2011, 20:53:10 »
You've given this a lot of thought. You're a planner, aren't you? Me too. I've drawn so many diagrams of my allotment, they waft out of drawers and cupboards every time I open them. And I keep making lists of things I'm growing.  I don;t know why, I don't need a list, I just like making lists  ;D

On the subject of swapped seeds - thanks but I would really just like the delicata, if you can extricate them. I am a bit pushed for space now as well!

But on the plus side for you with all your many seeds, you can use them next year. Saving squash seeds is a bit fiddly with the hand-pollinating, so at least if you have spares you can give yourself a year off that seed saving.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2011, 08:00:13 »
You're right about the lists.  I make mine as I keep changing my mind so I feel that If I put it on paper than the idea is not lost.  However, like you I have plans at home, plans at work, so many plans that they defeat the very reason for making them. 
But I like it and it helps clear out my head :)

martinburo

• Half Acre
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2011, 17:32:29 »
OK folks are there any more for any more?

Well, at a seed swap somebody gave me seeds of Invincible: blue-grey skin, about 5 kg fruits, apparently very tasty, and stores well. But when I googled it, it said it's F1, and I don't have the details of the person who gave me the seeds. So I didn't add it to the spreadsheet, but if someone wants to try, I have 6 seeds available.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2011, 14:43:14 »
THat reminds me I must sort out that small blue and add its seeds to the list in case anyone is interested. I'm calling a cutoff date of the end of January for all filing to the list to give us plenty of time to get the rest done...

chrisc

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2011, 11:16:51 »
I've been going through the list this morning and ATM it's all swap, we will not be buying anything.... I will send PM's round over the weekend to all concerned to say how many of each seeds to send in...

This can also be taken as a last call for people who want "in", PM me with what you have and what you want and I'll add it to the sheet (be easier than walking someone new through trying to edit the sheet themselves at this late stage).

Chris

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2011, 11:21:03 »
 ;D Ohh..we are nearly there then.. ;D..first big swap of the year ;D
Oh..and did you receive your seeds Chris?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2011, 17:57:10 »
Hi Goodlife, two envelopes turned up this morning.... Black Plum Russian in one with no note and Mortgage lifter in another with an old date stamp on it and the envelope looking like its been ripped and resealed.... there was no note left (but at least the seeds were in there....) were either of them you?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2011, 18:23:14 »
Hi there...well well..morgage lifter was from me as I promised, I put seeds in little plastic bag and taped it on card. As for 'Russian'...if it came separate envelope it's not from me..if it was inside the same envelope than the morgage lifter and it's little brown one..then it could have 'poped' in by accident ::)
But I only sent one envelope.
Have you got secret mailer? ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2011, 18:46:55 »
me again...now that I'm thinking about it..anything else by the morgage lifter is not from me..I can remember seing card trough the envelope and wondering if I should chance the envelope..I wonder if somebody in post thought there is money or something in and ripped it open to check. I did send it for while ago..that's why I thought to ask if you received it. Postman must have felt guilty and added extra packet for you.
Secret mailer it is ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 18:50:21 by goodlife »

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2011, 10:09:11 »
Hi there...well well..morgage lifter was from me as I promised, I put seeds in little plastic bag and taped it on card. As for 'Russian'...if it came separate envelope it's not from me..if it was inside the same envelope than the morgage lifter and it's little brown one..then it could have 'poped' in by accident ::)
But I only sent one envelope.
Have you got secret mailer? ;D

Just realised the Russian PLum were from ebay :D... DO you want some?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal