Author Topic: Whoppers!  (Read 1897 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Whoppers!
« on: October 17, 2010, 23:30:34 »
With the exception of the baby Conference which had fallen off my 'family' tree, this is my harvest of Doyenne de Comice pears. I picked one a couple of weeks back but it was clearly not yet ready so left the rest until today. The harvest is much smaller in quantity than last year - only 9 against 34 - but for size this year is amazing. They weigh between 319g and 576g! I shall let them soften a tad for a few days then bottle them - if I can find enough jars!

[attachment=1]

Tricia

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Whoppers!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:09:39 »
Very nice...  :)

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 09:12:32 »
Ow! They look good.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:17:07 »
ohh, my favourite pears.  We lost the flowers to frost this year  :(

Enjoy.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 15:49:43 »
Pear Cider.     :P :P :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 17:10:13 »
what do you mean by 'bottle them'?

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 17:53:04 »
we have a young doyenne still waiting for it to fruit - yours look lovely - was listening to Hugh yesterday saying it is better for a pear to ripen indoors than left on the tree, speeds it up

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 23:12:18 »
Bottled Pears

Peel, halve (or quarter large pears) and core the pears keeping them in water (with some lemon juice added to stop them going brown) until all of them are prepared.

Make up the syrup with 3 cups of water to 1 cup of sugar; put the drained pears in and bring back to the boil. Turn down heat. Transfer pears to the first warmed Kilner jar. Roughly fill jar with syrup and using a flat bladed knife, run it down the inside of the bottle in four places to squeeze out as much trapped air as possible. Top up with hot syrup, put on a seal, place the band over and screw down firmly. Fill each jar individually. Turn the bottles upside down to ensure a good seal. Once cold take the metal bands off the jars, wipe down and store.

(I use saved screw top jars.)

Tricia

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 09:54:34 »
Bottled Pears

Peel, halve (or quarter large pears) and core the pears keeping them in water (with some lemon juice added to stop them going brown) until all of them are prepared.

Make up the syrup with 3 cups of water to 1 cup of sugar; put the drained pears in and bring back to the boil. Turn down heat. Transfer pears to the first warmed Kilner jar. Roughly fill jar with syrup and using a flat bladed knife, run it down the inside of the bottle in four places to squeeze out as much trapped air as possible. Top up with hot syrup, put on a seal, place the band over and screw down firmly. Fill each jar individually. Turn the bottles upside down to ensure a good seal. Once cold take the metal bands off the jars, wipe down and store.

(I use saved screw top jars.)
Tricia
I do mine similarly, with syrup 1:4, ie slightly less sweet.  I put prepared, raw pears into clean, cold jars, cover with syrup, wipe rims and lids for good seal, close lids, put jars into very large stockpot on top of 3 folded teatowels , heat water very slowly, once it has reached boiling, boil gently for 25 minutes, take out and let cool.  Keeps forever, once lids have popped down , or cliptop jars have been unclipped (when cold) to test that glas lid is held firmly to jar by vacuum pressure, without the clip.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:01:13 by galina »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 09:59:02 »
what do you mean by 'bottle them'?

Oh, I get it - after you and your's have eaten 'their fill', there isn't anything left to bottle  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal