Author Topic: hints for Christmas - universal wish list  (Read 2108 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
hints for Christmas - universal wish list
« on: October 15, 2010, 21:51:40 »
I've noticed that a few people check other family members' wish list on amazon.com to work out what to get them for Christmas. I've often wished you could have a wish list for things which aren't on Amazon.

But last night I saw that now they have a so-called 'universal wish list' so you can add items from other websites.

So now you can hint about seeds and other garden-related stuff! I've put some cheap wishes on there like packets of seeds and plant labels and stuff.

Anyway - I thought it was quite good!  8)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: hints for Christmas - universal wish list
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 22:34:02 »
Oh dear...I'm going to be grumpy old woman now....I'm not overly keen for family buying pressies for me..they never get it right..they always buy something utterly useless..beside, I don't really need anythings as such..don't want them waisting their money for sake of one bloody day..and if I need or want anything I might as well buy it myself as then I get what I want ::) And I think pressies as supprises..not something to be ordered from others ::) I HATE when OH asks.."what can I get you?"..GRRRRRR >:(..Luckily now years of hard training is finally sunk in and he has almost forgotten that question..and we don't buy for each others.
My mother in law..as nice as she is..is always "highlight of the year" with pressies..she is totally from different planet...Last year she bought for me designer hand bag ;D ;D ;D..silk with embroided flowers or something on it..purple! ::) ::)...and I'm happiest with my wellies and something on that doesn't matter if it gets covered with 'muck'...HANDBAG ::)..She has never ever seen me using one....hmm..do I feel hint coming on.. :o
I suppose wish list is ok...at least you should get something even relatively useful ;D 
I wish...loads and loads of good books...all sorts..horticulture, horror, "adult", cookery ...bit of everything ;D' ..or take my stuff and move into library ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 22:56:58 »
That's what I'm thinking - people waste their money buying things you don't need or like, and I can't help suspecting I must be getting their presents wrong as well.

And I hate the wastage of buying things we don't need. It all ends up in landfill.

Personally I would be happy if we enjoyed games and good food at Christmas and didn't do presents. I used to love it. But now I feel the joy has gone out of it, because so many people buy everything they want during the year anyway.

And then there are the family members who request specific items. Not general hints like 'anything football-related would be nice' or 'I like a good book' - but you know, specifying the DVD set they want or the shop they want vouchers for! I feel they might as well reach into my purse and get the money out!  >:(

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 23:15:01 »
I bet we get pressies wrong..we do buy few bits for family..only for few members though..and we stopped asking their wishes years ago.
I'm not doing even cards anymore...just waist. I must sound really miserable cow ;D We..hmm...should say.. I only buy now for those few dearest and closest..others we don't bother..we only see them once a year anyway.
Code: [Select]
Personally I would be happy if we enjoyed games and good food at Christmas and didn't do presents. I used to love it. But now I feel the joy has gone out of it, because so many people buy everything they want during the year anyway....yes..right on the spot..no pressies just having fun would be just ideal time. And just because some always expect getting something that is worth of some minimum amount of money, we stopped going into family gatherings. Last few years we done our own traditions and spend our time as we want. Yes is it utterly selfish...but so satisfying..and it was quite easy to do..just took some courage to say "no thank you and we are doing our own.."
Nobody doesn't expect anything from us anymore ;D..and if anything happens it will be proper suprise ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 04:47:50 »
I agree that the best presents come as surprises and not on regular days. I like giving "just because gifts" and am not at all keen on the regimentated gift giving for Christmas Birthdays etc..although I have to hastily say it doesn't apply to children

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 08:07:33 »
If we only would have young kids in family...now that is exception..I would be one of those boring aunties who buy old fashion weird toys and things ::)
Universal wish list for anybody from A4a..not that difficult for most of us ;D I think anything in parcel that would have something to do with hmm....seeds :o ;)..would go down well..?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 09:26:06 »
I love pressies and my kids normally decide amongst themselves what I would like.That have never yet got me anything I dislike or would not want.

My husband failed last year.he ordered nice stuff online but it was a few days before Christmas so nothing turned up .He dashed out and bought me a pile of rubbish.....including a book on Les Dawson.I have still not forgiven him for that one.When I moaned he said I thought you said you thought he was funny.I said not enough to want to read a book about him...GRRRR

The real let down was he had bought a second hand DVD player off eBay.that turned up and he thought it was the pressie he had ordered me and he did not open it ,just wrapped it up and gave it me Christmas morning.double grrrr.

He had ordered me a lovely Thomas kinkade Christmas ornament ...he knew that was my thing...it turned up later. ;D

In short though we all love our pressies and enjoy every moment of it.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 09:32:33 »
we all have wish lists, including very small stuff, warm socks and things..everyone is limited to 10.00 each, apart from the childrens presents, We, as mum and dad, do stocking fillers which we buy or make all through the year, then something from the wish list  :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 09:44:39 »
This year I have an idea that I know my Husband will love.

I have a friend and her husband is an Artist.

I have commissioned him to paint a picture of our two dogs,we both adore them.

Hope the kids don't mind that I have not commissioned a picture of them   ??? ??? ???

Maybe next year LOL

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 10:41:03 »
I commissioned a painting of OH's lottie for her 45th and now have the problem of "what do I do" for her 50th...  ???

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 13:25:24 »
I asked for slug pellets and no-one got me any.  :( :( :( :(  A big garden and a greenhouse would be good, and a puppy, but not allowed and will get too old soon for all the walks.  A another cat would be good, but then OH would leave home, good idea maybe.  ;) ;) ;) ;)  I must be getting old, my house is full of stuff, which I am trying to give to charity shop, and as my mother used to say 'I want something to want'.  I would like a new kitchen with everything matching rather than a collection of unmatched pots, pans accessories but that will only happen if I win the lottery so all in all I can't really think of anything I really, really want.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 19:23:11 »
wow - commissioning pictures for Christmas, that is special.

Borlotti - what a shame, no slug pellets for you! Can you imagine though, they probably didnt quite dare. Maybe they could imagine the conversations you'd have afterwards 'and of course you know what I got for Christmas. Slug pellets.' 'oh you poor thing. After all you've done for them...'  ;D

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 19:27:15 »
im thinking about buying my hubby a wormery! anyone have one? any good?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 22:55:38 »
wormery...Yes, I've got one..Very good idea if you are able to locate it somewhere not too far from kitchen.
I've got one of those 'miniture' wheelie bin types..and I like it a lot.. ;D
Emptying is bit of a job but otherwise great..and if you going to get one I recommend book 'worms eat my garbage' to go with it...you'll have all the info that one may need in that book ;)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 23:18:39 »
I always ask for compost but never get any as it too difficult to wrap and put under the tree ;)

Can I join you, goodlife, and be a grumpy old woman as well ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 16:24:46 »
A Cheque for the yearly allotment rent is always a good idea!!
You couldn't make it up!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 17:32:58 »
I thought we were still in the early part of October.     ??? ??? ???     :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 17:33:06 »