Author Topic: Beets Me !!!  (Read 2308 times)

Buckeye Girl

• Not So New ...
Beets Me !!!
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:57:04 »
Has anyone tried freezing beets?  I have read that you can but its funny that you never seen it on sale in the supermarkets.

Failing that,  what have you found to be a easy, successful way of storing fresh beets?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Beets Me !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 13:49:33 »
They "clamp" fine... just twist off the leaves and place in sand or compost/peat. Not touching and in a cool shed...
same for most roots.  :)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 19:00:41 »
Freezing destroys the texture of the beetroot.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 19:17:03 »
Freezing definately does destroy the texture. I guess it depends what you want to use them for. I have frozen some cooked, which I will puree and used in cooking e.g to make chocolate beetroot cake or soups. I haven't tried storing them in a clamp because I like to store most of them pickled.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 20:31:25 »
Gave my neighbour a carrier bag of Choggia and she gave us a "chocolate" cake back... the family tell me it was nice...  :-\

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 20:40:15 »
Last year I stored mine in the garage in a box of compost and they lasted for months in very good condition. Saves on freezer space too !!:)

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 20:48:15 »
Last year I stored mine in the garage in a box of compost and they lasted for months in very good condition. Saves on freezer space too !!:)

Duke
us, too, plus we had new leaves growing for salads in spring  :)

Buckeye Girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 21:26:46 »
Thanks everyone.
As I understand it ... you are suppose to keep the sand, peat moist, compost?  Is one better to use than the other?   How do you maintain the right medium?

I have to do something quickly as one of the beets is already beginning to get a wee bit soft.

kypfer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 10:11:15 »
you are suppose to keep the sand, peat moist, compost?

Moist as in not bone-dry, but certainly not dripping wet ... the same sort of dampness as a new-bought bag of potting compost. In a container of some sort, in a cool place with a plastic bag or sack over the top is all that's necessary. Even outside in a frost-free spot would be OK, doesn't have to be in a cellar or garage, just keep 'em cool, moist and dark and they'll sleep happily all winter ... you can even leave them in the ground ;D

Buckeye Girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 23:26:53 »
you are suppose to keep the sand, peat moist, compost?

... you can even leave them in the ground ;D

Call me a blue thumb but wouldn't there be a risk of them continuing to grow if left in the ground? Wouldn't something come along and try to eat them???

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 07:21:06 »
Slugs will often nibble the crowns if left in the ground...  :-X

kypfer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 10:02:04 »
Damp compost ... damp ground ... they'll not grow (much) whilst it's cold. I've over-wintered beetroot in the ground before now with no problem, but maybe my slugs don't like beetroot   ::)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 19:50:09 »
Hmm... I've got a very late sowing (Went in to modules in July and out mid-end of August IIRC)) in at the moment that I'll leave and hope the weather is OK for the next month.... if it is I'll get a couple of jars of useable baby-beets pickled for my mum... she likes them pickled too small, too sweet and with not nearly enough vinegar in the mix..... If it works then I'll take them over at christmas, if it doesn' tthen no-one need know and the onions will go there next spring......

chrisc

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 19:59:30 »
I have cooked and frozen sliced beetroot before and it has been fine. I think it should be used within 6 months of freezing though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal