Author Topic: Amaranth  (Read 1474 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Amaranth
« on: October 12, 2010, 21:17:37 »
Hi

I grew some Amaranth this year, and it's done really well on the plot. I kind of left it to look at rather than nibble on it - maybe I should have picked the leaves for curries or stir frys but I just didn't get round to it, plus I really liked the plant.
Anyway can I leave it on the plot? Will it still grow? Or should I start some fresh seed next year? Sorry to sound a bit clueless!!

[attachment=1]

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Amaranth
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 08:17:39 »
I'm fairly certain it's not hardy enough to over winter... even on the South coast...  :-\

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 08:44:10 »
My West Indian neighbour grows Amaranth (Callaloo) every year.  Even if it dies in the cold I think it will seed itself - his seeds itself all over my plot!

Yours is a different variety by the colour of the leaves, very pretty.

[attachment=1]

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 10:35:36 »
thanks for the replies - and yes it is a very pretty plant - particularly when the sun is shining.  Think I might try some in the garden next year. There seem to be lots of different varietes - I got this from Suffolk Herbs, and it has little or no info on the packet  ::)
Trouble is, it is where I want to plant my garlic, so it may have to go! At the moment it just depends on how much garlic I plant  ;)

1066  :)

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 17:36:55 »
Leave it to self seed just a bit, and then dig up a few seedlings in the spring and transplant - you will get much better plants than sowing and growing in pots/modules and transplanting.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 13:40:59 »
thanks aj. Another poster suggested something similar, and said the variety I have isn't hardy, so I scattered a few seeds around on Saturday, so we'll see what comes up next year. Funnily enough, I came across another packet of Amaranth, that I got in a swap, so will give that a go as well next year  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal