Author Topic: Keeping Tools Sharp  (Read 1399 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Keeping Tools Sharp
« on: October 11, 2010, 20:30:08 »
It didnt take me long to realise that I am not the "sharpest tool in the shed", so apologies to all of those who will rightly accuse me of stating the bl**din' obvious...but I thought it would be useful to make the point to newbies that the benefits of having sharp tools cant be over-stated.  I just bought a new paddle hoe and it took me about 10 minutes to work a bed that would have taken nearer an hour using my old, but not trusted, (more rusted), tool.  The right tool for the job sometimes really does mean getting something new and whether you've taken on a new plot, or simply trying to maintain an existing one, it can make all the difference in terms of the productive effort.

That said, and other than keeping it dirt free, can someone suggest the best way to keep the hoe blade as sharp as new...other than not using it, as suggested by my son.

Thanks to all

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Keeping Tools Sharp
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 21:05:24 »
Code: [Select]
That said, and other than keeping it dirt free, can someone suggest the best way to keep the hoe blade as sharp as new...other than not using it, as suggested by my son.When I hoe..I have my sharpening stone or file with me..and every now and then I give the hoe little 'lick' with the stone...and before putting the tool away.
Once a year I use grinder to thin the edge...bit like cosmetic surgery..and the stone as make up...if that makes any sense ::)

kypfer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 22:13:43 »
I'll agree with newspud, a regular "lick" with a fine file or suitable stone will make all the difference, and don't forget the wipe with an oily rag when you put it away ... shiny steel slides so much easier through the ground than rusty iron  ;)

If you've got a lot of stones in your ground that may well be what's bluntening your tools in the first place. I find it worth the effort to bend down,  pick up the worst of them and toss them to the side. After a couple of seasons there's noticeable fewer to deal with ... and it really does make the hoeing so much easier  ;)

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 22:43:55 »
Its also to do with the quality of the steel used for the tool.

I have some wood turning chisels stamped "WD 1939" (War department, made for a government workshop). they are hard as glass, and stay sharp for hours and hours of use. On the other hand i have also  chisel such as Draper, which are 1980's or 1990's. They will hold an edge about 20 minutes then need sharpening again. Similarly, i found that with old garden forks you cannot bend the tines, but a newish cheap B&Q fork is soft as butter and very easy to bend.

This is why you should always buy the best tools, its false economy to buy cheap tools
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 18:46:53 »
Try and get hold of a bevelled Carborundum stone they are about nine inches and bevelled at each end, normally used to sharpen a sickle, keeps the edge on my hoe nice and bright, but if your hoe is not up to it just run it over a grinding stone to put the edge back on to it :)

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 19:35:19 »
Thanks for the responses and I'll definitely follow all the good advice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal