Author Topic: Got the size............  (Read 922 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Got the size............
« on: October 05, 2010, 14:37:16 »
but not the colour.

Having trouble getting my sweet peppers to ripen this year. This last month has been quite poor for light and temperature so I guess this is the problem.

I have held back on the watering and feeding because if I didn't in this type of weather I would lose most of my crop to botrytis so I guess I will have to settle for mostly green ones this year.

Picked this one this morning along with a long aubergine.

To give an indication of size they are sitting on a 14" x 8" tray

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Got the size............
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 16:24:43 »
LOL we can be a pair! Mine were beautiful, red and ripe but only tiny! I think it was becasue of our prolonged drought. However the flavour was very nice! I will try them next year. They were called Robertina, they are early ripeners, I got them from Alan Romans. I am sure you will do them bigger than me!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Got the size............
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:31:20 »
Strange, mine have all ripened quite early this year, I think it might be due to the somewhat irregular watering regime they have had due to my shift work and holiday.

'Atris' was a new variety for me this year, I picked them up in the Wyvale seed sale and would have been otherwise very expensive, about £4 for 4 seeds!  :o They all germinated, made big healthy plants and fruited prolifically, long 'pointed slipper' type fruits, so I'm going to save seeds from some of them even if they are F1's to see how they do next year, worth a try. I've been keeping 'Ramiro' seeds for the past few years and they keep doing well so I'm just keeping going... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal