Author Topic: Halal meat and Morrisons supermarkets  (Read 22107 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Halal meat and Morrisons supermarkets
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 08:04:22 »
You are lucky to be able to source mutton these days....our local Sainsburys used to do it in their 'basic' range mince, OH preferred that to any other! I don't understand why halal chicken breasts would be bigger though...if the only difference is in the slaughtering? I'm afraid price and quality decide where I buy our meat, since joining Costco's the family has been impressed so far with the overall quality of their meat and fish, so I buy in bulk and freeze the majority. I don't think OH would particularly care if it was halal or not as long as it tasted good...... ::)

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 10:08:54 »
Si D,  it is a general rant because every other day there is something in some media to do with muslim faith raging because something is not to muslim liking.  Different cultures settle in different countries. Not got an issue with people practicing their faiths but some people in some groups always expect the host nation should give in to their each and every whim.  Nobody is forced to stay if they don't like western ways.  You can please some people some of the time but you cant please all the people all of the time. 

Fair enough. 

While I don't deny that there are people from any group that we'd care to mention that always want their own way, I do feel that much of this current social angst is more a combination of a media feeding frenzy and of liberal-extremism, than reality.  For instance, round here we had all the agro over not being able to fly the Union Flag on council buildings and of Christmas being (allegedly) renamed 'Winterval'.  The media used this to have a rant at the various ethnic minorities, especially Muslims, where as, in fact, they had had nothing to do with it and I never met one that had any trouble with people flying the flag or celebrating Christmas (indeed, I've met many more WASPs who go all bar-humbug, and get miserable when Christmas is mentioned  ;) ).

Nope, if there is a rant to be had then I'd much rather have mine against the media that are only too keen to blow any slight hint of a story out of all proportion to sell a few more papers, never mind the damage that it does and the way that it creates barriers between different elements of the community that just want to get on with each other in peace.

However, I must admit, that I do wonder at 'multiculturalism' sometimes.  I wonder if 'interculturalism' wouldn't be a better solution?  Short term pain for long term gain?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 10:30:36 »

Nope, if there is a rant to be had then I'd much rather have mine against the media that are only too keen to blow any slight hint of a story out of all proportion to sell a few more papers, never mind the damage that it does and the way that it creates barriers between different elements of the community that just want to get on with each other in peace.

Hear Hear!! well put!
You couldn't make it up!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 10:41:22 »
Brits have a tendency to gather together when they move to foreign lands and re-create their homeland and customs there.  I've seen it first hand in various African nations, Mongolia, Spain, America, India.

Not sure we should be throwing stones around our own glass houses.  It's a human response not necessarily a cultural one
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 11:14:17 »

Hear Hear!! well put!

Totally agree with both of you.

Our site, being in Birmingham,  is very multicultural and I wouldn't want it any other way. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal