Author Topic: Steamers  (Read 3625 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Steamers
« on: October 03, 2010, 11:36:14 »
Anyone out there use a steamer for cooking veg, just been watching a programme about the best ways to preserve the vitamin contents in the veg and it seems that steamer comes out OK obviously not the old pressure cookers, :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Steamers
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 11:44:25 »
I've got the prestige cook & steam. I really like it. The base is an electric frying pan with a thermostat on it & 2 tiers for steaming.. Had it 2 years now & no problems.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 11:51:32 »
I have a steamer 2 tiers and just pop some water in the base and lid on,pop it on the hob and it steams the veg lovely.also do new spuds this way.

You can get these for about £10

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 12:00:28 »
My daughter got me into steaming some years ago.  I started with a stainless steel one and then moved onto electric.  I am somewhat scatterbrained and when my husband was in hospital for 7 weeks it was much easier with a timer.  So I put all the veg in one basket.  Potatoes and carrots go at the bottom and brocolli goes stem down at the top.  I have a mark on it so that I can get it all done perfectly.  And thats it - perfect veg.  Carrots in particular are delicious.   I am onto my second electric steamer  The first one was a budget one.  Most of them are oval but I like the round ones as I put my plates on top to warm.  Only probem has been calcification but they are easy to clean it off.

Actually prefer runner beans and beetroot boiled but for everything else its the steamer.  

Now it is used daily I would not do without it.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 12:03:09 »
We have a stainless steel one from wikinsons. Does the job
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 12:07:58 »
Stainless steel one here too.  The flavour of steamed veggies is far superior to boiled.  I do most veggies in it but cant stand the flavour of steamed potatoes for some reason  ???
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Greenqueen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 12:45:02 »
Why not the old pressure cooker?  are all the nutrients lost?

Mmmm I love my pressure cooker :)

Greenqueen.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 12:53:30 »
I have a saucepan set which included a holey bottomed saucepan to use as a steamer. It gets used often, the spuds go in the bottom with the water and the veg goes on the top. The steaming takes slightly longer than boiling and I find a well fitting lid without venting holes to let any steam out is essential. You need less water for the spuds too which come out half steamed and half boiled. The water which is left goes to make the gravey so nothing is lost.

If you have a stainless steel collander, you can invert that over a pan of boiling water with foil over the top as a lid, to find out if you like steamed veg before buying something which will end up as another kitchen gadget on the shelf.

For cabbage, shred it very finely and stir fry it without any oil in a wok, add water a little at a time, just enough to stop it burning.

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 13:00:34 »
i have eletric steamer have used them for years, i  cook every thing from veg to eggs and rice! would never go back! ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 13:42:52 »
got an electric one and a 'pan' one, we need them both when we have visitors,  :)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 13:58:37 »
I have a steamer 2 tiers and just pop some water in the base and lid on,pop it on the hob and it steams the veg lovely.also do new spuds this way.

You can get these for about £10

Likewise- wouldn't be without it!

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 15:33:55 »
I put a metal colinder on top of the pan with a lid on  ;D

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 16:17:27 »
i use a stainless steel one and put the pots in the water to cook and the veg in the top 2 tires cook all my veg this way ;)
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 14:11:26 »
I have the small one from Lakeland with an extra basket.  You can get cheaper ones but I am very short of space in my kitchen so I went for this.  I use it all the time for greens and to heat up meals as I don't have a microwave.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 18:33:08 »
i use a stainless steel one and put the pots in the water to cook and the veg in the top 2 tires cook all my veg this way ;)

I cook like this too and would never go back to cooking vegetables in water.  I also steam new potatoes especially the salad varieties such as pink fir apple.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 05:18:11 »
We have had our a 3 tier electric one from Argos for 4 years at least.  Gets used mostly for sunday lunch and Xmas dinner.  Saves the hassle of draining veg after cooking too.  One electric socket against 3 gas rings - got to be saving on energy bills too. ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 13:57:56 »
We've one of those cheapo two tier stainless jobs, but ours has an Eastern wickerwork basket thing for doing Chinese steaming.  It's great - the steam seams to 'soak' into the wood work such that as soon as you touch it it takes the skin off of your finger tips.  So, no matter how crap the food tastes you don't notice because of the pain from your hands.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 15:49:26 »
We have a metal one and its great.
Just one thing to remember, only use wooden utensils with metal pans otherwise there is a metal taste left in the food you have cooked.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 17:48:38 »
We've got a 3 tier steamer and with the exception of beans (don't know why ?)we steam most veg.Theyre clean,take one plug ,easy to wash up and the veg tastes really good.I'd buy one that the tiers stack inside each other ,we used to have on that didn't and it took up loads of room.Also took speed things up I boil a kettle to fill it so it heats up quicker. ;)
Did someone mention eggs? how do you steam them ?
sanity is overated

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 20:15:53 »
Thanks for the replies  folks, :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal