Author Topic: Quiz evening  (Read 897 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Quiz evening
« on: October 03, 2010, 18:05:26 »
When asked what plant family garlic belongs to, I put forward 'Allium'.
Was I right before I smack the quizmaster next time I see 'im?
He said it was a member of the bulb(tulip/daffodil)? lot.

This is the second time I've taken him to task in 10 years. The last time was when he asked which plant was tequila made from. Well it ain't cactus is it?
 ;D
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Quiz evening
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 18:19:26 »
Garlic is in the Alliaceae family.  Allium is not a family, it's a genus.  Daffs are in Amaryllidaceae, tulips in Liliaceae.  When you see your quiz master next give him a good stuffing - he doesn't know his taxonomy from his taxidermy.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 18:25:13 »
You are right at the moment they are in the Alliaceae they have been moved about a bit most recently been in the asparagus family and both those were previously in the lilliaceae with lilies, tulips, daffodils, agapanthus etc However there have been changes and garlic and onions have their own family...so he's wrong. 

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 15:25:49 »
Garlic is in the Alliaceae family.  Allium is not a family, it's a genus.  Daffs are in Amaryllidaceae, tulips in Liliaceae.  When you see your quiz master next give him a good stuffing - he doesn't know his taxonomy from his taxidermy.

I agree!
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal