Author Topic: Apple Crumble Recipe?  (Read 2168 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Apple Crumble Recipe?
« on: October 02, 2010, 10:31:20 »
Has anyone got a good old fashioned  apple crumble recipe please?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Apple Crumble Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 10:53:56 »
Filling..apples, mixed spice, sugar, depending how sweet you want it, I make my crumble by the pound and freeze the excess, 1 lb flour, 8 oz butter, 4 oz sugar, mix until like breadcrumbs, spread over your apple mixture, cook and enjoy  ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 11:09:06 »
I cook my crumble topping before using it in a crumble - make as per manics then cook until crispy - then add on top of the apple and bake as per normal..
Really nice if you like a crispy topping..
I nicked the idea from http://www.bramleyapples.co.uk/GaryRhodesNuttyBramleyAppleCrumble.html - well actually his book but its the same)
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 11:59:58 »
The bog standard recipe for the crumble is

2 parts flour
1 part sugar
1 part butter

Rub the butter into the sugar and flour until it resembles bread crumbs the place over stewed fruit . Then bake until the top is golden in a moderate oven. (top tip here, if do not have a food mixer, is to freeze the butter then grate it into the flour and sugar)

You can vary it by adding spices or using brown sugar even a few chopped nuts. Margarine, even the soft spreading stuff can be used instead of butter at a push.

I make up a bag full of crumble mix and keep it in the freezer. It can be made for one person in a small dish or a larger one for several people.

The problem can be a soggy bottom with the crumble absorbing moisture from the fruit so some people do make a crisp crumble by spreading the dry mix on a baking tray and baking it. Adding it to the stewed fruit when serving.

In the old days of school cookery lessons apple crumble was the first thing we were taught

Week two we added a bit of dried fruit to the mix an egg and some milk so that it was very stiff, then put dollops on a baking tray cooked them and called them Rock Cakes. Naturally, they never reached home.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 20:34:50 »
i make my crumble topping with half flour and half porrige oats - this gives a crunchy oaty texture

debs

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 18:08:57 »
Savoury crumble is lovely too - I finely chop  courgettes, mushrooms, toms, onions, bacon for meat eaters, and then add the same amount of fine grated cheese as the chosen fat to the topping, plus whatever chopped herbs are handy.
Absolutely delicious.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal