Author Topic: Winter Squash taste tests  (Read 20510 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Winter Squash taste tests
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2011, 08:37:33 »
Had to cut up my only Bonbon yesterday as it had a small chink of soft on it. Perfect when I opened it apart from a 5p patch. Have put it to freeze until we need it. Still have 8 butternut and a blue pumpkin to try
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2011, 13:55:42 »
I grew Harrier Butternut, pretty bog standard variety but after a couple of months in storage, the flavour was exceptional, best soup I ever made.

d**n, I bought some Turk's Turban seeds this year! Now you are all telling me that they are rubbish??   :o :( I am dead disappointed as they looked so tempting.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2011, 18:21:46 »

d**n, I bought some Turk's Turban seeds this year! Now you are all telling me that they are rubbish??   :o :( I am dead disappointed as they looked so tempting.
You never know- it might be a good one. You might plant one just to see. At worst you'll have a beautiful Fall decoration. You can always prune the plant to leave room for more promising varieties.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2011, 09:42:34 »
We tried some of the frozen bon bon in a curry but we both agreed that it would be better in a soup.It breaks up a lot more than the butternut does after freezing. It doesn't taste as sweet either. Twould make a good soup thickener
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal