Author Topic: Better than swimming with dolphins!  (Read 63894 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Better than swimming with dolphins!
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2010, 08:59:32 »
I couldn't believe it when she jumped up on Betty's lap. I think that she should really be called the cat lady from hereon. ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2010, 09:37:12 »
Wonderful!  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2010, 14:11:16 »
I didn't realize that I liked cats quite so much until recently.  Triangle would make someone a perfect pet (me, me, me) but I suppose she is happy enough at the allotments, she doesn't know any other life. 

She actually seems to like being picked up, or sitting on my lap.  She purrs all the time, sometimes she starts purring before I even touch her.

One of the cats from my plot followed me over to the pavilion this morning.  Felix, Triangle and Janet were not impressed.  Calico, the plot cat wasn't a bit bothered by seeing three other cats though.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2010, 23:12:01 »
Hope they are all well, in this bitterly cold weather.

A lovely photo :)

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2010, 04:53:51 »
I hope they are ok too Sinbad.  I've become an anxious parent and find myself wondering what they are doing when I'm not there and if they are cold.  Felix, Triangle and Janet have their boxes with warm bedding next to the pavilion and under shelter but the four I feed on my plot don't.  There are plenty of sheds and greenhouses where they can go so hopefully they will be alright.

I've just got up and it's snowed here overnight but doesn't seem much at the moment.  I live near enough to the allotments to walk over if the roads are bad and Ken goes there on the bus every day so they will be fed whatever the weather.

Calico came to the pavilion again yesterday at feeding time.  The strange thing is that even though I offered her food, she wouldn't take it.  She followed me around, even coming inside while I got the food ready.  She doesn't do anything to the pavilion three but Janet is scared of her and won't eat if she's there.  When I got back in my car to drive over to my plot I looked in the mirror and Calico was running behind the car.  I put her food down in the usual place on the plot and she ate it.  I think I will have to start feeding the plot cats first, before the pavilion ones then maybe Calico will stay on the plot and not put Janet off her food.

I think I'm becoming obsessed.......... ::)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2010, 07:36:47 »
I think I would be obsessed already.  I haven’t even seen them and I worry if they are alright, so they’d be no hope for me  ;D

Glad you’ve seen them all though.

Thank you for the update.

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2010, 10:32:01 »
Glad to hear they have shelter and bedding - it's snowing quite hard here and I was wondering about them ???.  Caesar went out for about 20 mins but is now back indoors fast asleep.  ;D
War on slugs and snails!!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2010, 11:43:29 »
I didn't realize that I liked cats quite so much until recently.  Triangle would make someone a perfect pet (me, me, me) but I suppose she is happy enough at the allotments, she doesn't know any other life.  

She actually seems to like being picked up, or sitting on my lap.  She purrs all the time, sometimes she starts purring before I even touch her.

One of the cats from my plot followed me over to the pavilion this morning.  Felix, Triangle and Janet were not impressed.  Calico, the plot cat wasn't a bit bothered by seeing three other cats though.

This is a lovely thread.   When I visited, one of the cats stood on its hindlegs, paws on the table and had a good look at what you were doing  Squash :) and you were surprised and delighted by that  :)

The cats love you for defiinite  ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:02:04 by galina »

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2010, 11:52:32 »
The man who feeds our allotment cat does worry about him when it snows, but the Council toilets/store room has a cat flap in the door (don't tell the Council).  Also he has an old settee in there and various cupboard boxes with blankets in. The man was thinking of taking him home but he has two cats already and would have to keep the allotment cat indoors or it would probably run away.  Think it is kinder to leave it where it is, as long as it has shelter and food.  I suppose it you are going to rehome an allotment cat best do it as a kitten.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2010, 22:47:01 »
As always it's lovely to hear your updates Squash, or should I say Cat Woman!
(Shirl does she wear a cat woman outfit???!!!  :D )

1066  :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2010, 07:08:10 »

No but she is starting to grow whiskers ;D
                             I want em saying

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2010, 07:40:05 »
puuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  ;D  ;D  ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2010, 07:52:39 »

No but she is starting to grow whiskers ;D

Shirl, you promised you wouldn't mention them!
Maybe that's why I like the cats so much? ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2010, 07:54:56 »
Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Hi Evelyn, welcome to A4A.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2010, 08:14:50 »
The man who feeds our allotment cat does worry about him when it snows, but the Council toilets/store room has a cat flap in the door (don't tell the Council).  Also he has an old settee in there and various cupboard boxes with blankets in. The man was thinking of taking him home but he has two cats already and would have to keep the allotment cat indoors or it would probably run away.  Think it is kinder to leave it where it is, as long as it has shelter and food.  I suppose it you are going to rehome an allotment cat best do it as a kitten.

What a good idea.  I wish we could do something like that but the door to our Stores is metal so I don't think we could put a cat flap in.

I find myself constantly thinking about how the Pavilion Three are coping in this weather.  I put extra bedding in their boxes yesterday so I hope they are alright. 

None of my four Plot Cats were there yesterday when I went to feed them but there were pawprints in the snow so I know they must have been around.  There were also prints which I think might have been from the fox.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2010, 08:23:50 »

Betty do stop worrying. They all have fur coats and as long as they are dry they will be ok ;D
                             I want em saying

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2010, 10:26:23 »
Don't worry as they'll have found several cosy places where they can curl up to sleep out of the cold, wet and wind!
What with being fed as well they really are being pampered somewhat!  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2010, 10:43:33 »
If you look up 'outdoor cats in snow' on internet or feral cats in snow its gives loads of information.  Says that straw is good for bedding. I have shut Dulce out and hopefully he has gone home, but have left the door of the leanto open so if desperate he can get in there.  I have always loved animals, wanted to be a vet but wasn't clever enough.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2010, 10:49:44 »
Shirl and Flighty, you are both right of course.... I suppose I'll get used to being a crazy cat lady in time....

I walked over (good grief, I can't believe I actually walked there) to the allotments this morning and the Pavilion Three were all waiting for me.  After I fed them I went over to my plot and Felix followed me

[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]

Calico came as soon as I called the Plot Cats

[attachment=3]

and Derek was waiting

[attachment=4]

I feed him inside a trap which the Cats Protection have lent us, so that we will be able to catch him and have him neutered.  He is quite happy to go inside it

[attachment=5]

E.T. was waiting, she doesn't show up very well in the snow

[attachment=6]

and Calico went in the other shelter for her food

[attachment=7]
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2010, 11:30:15 »
I want E.T. very pretty cat.  Apparently I am the 'mad woman' who steals cats and locks them in and OH I call 'the nasty man' who kicks the cat out.  Glad I live in north London or would be tempted to ask if I could take one home. It is blo.dy cold out today, Charlie is asleep on the bed and have given him a cat litter tray, well he is 19 years old.  I will light the imitation coal fire for him in a minute, but will get rid of the litter tray and turn fire off before 'moaning nasty man' gets home.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal