Author Topic: Better than swimming with dolphins!  (Read 63389 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Better than swimming with dolphins!
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2010, 12:20:03 »
I told you that they would be ok. So pleased that you liked the clip enough to use it as your avatar Betty. There is no better feeling than to be needed even if it is just by cats and in my case rabbits ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2010, 13:31:58 »
Haven't you got any meerkats, Shirl  ;D
War on slugs and snails!!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2010, 13:36:49 »
I have a stuffed one that I won on the save a swan stand at Walsall rds open day
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2010, 13:42:09 »
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2010, 15:42:31 »
If you look up 'outdoor cats in snow' on internet or feral cats in snow its gives loads of information.  Says that straw is good for bedding. I have shut Dulce out and hopefully he has gone home, but have left the door of the leanto open so if desperate he can get in there.  I have always loved animals, wanted to be a vet but wasn't clever enough.

Thanks for that.  I did google it and saw that they are much better off having straw as bedding, rather than blankets etc.  I'm expecting a delivery of straw this weekend so I'll use some of that in their boxes. 

I've always loved animals too.  I remember telling a teacher at school that I wanted to work in the zoo but she just laughed at me....
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2010, 15:47:00 »
I want E.T. very pretty cat.  Apparently I am the 'mad woman' who steals cats and locks them in and OH I call 'the nasty man' who kicks the cat out.  Glad I live in north London or would be tempted to ask if I could take one home. It is blo.dy cold out today, Charlie is asleep on the bed and have given him a cat litter tray, well he is 19 years old.  I will light the imitation coal fire for him in a minute, but will get rid of the litter tray and turn fire off before 'moaning nasty man' gets home.

E.T. is the shyest of the Plot Four but she is getting better and will sit and wait quite near me while I get the food ready now.  She used to run off before.

My husband has never thought he liked cats until I was converted.  I think he has seen the light now and he said that when we no longer have dogs he would like a cat.  Alleluia!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2010, 15:49:39 »
I told you that they would be ok. So pleased that you liked the clip enough to use it as your avatar Betty. There is no better feeling than to be needed even if it is just by cats and in my case rabbits ;D

I'm sure you are needed by more than just your rabbits Shirl  ;)
I like my new avatar very much, thank you.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2010, 12:17:43 »
Update...

I went over this morning to feed them and suddenly realised how big Triangle has become.  She is almost the same size as Felix now. I think she is about six months old.

[attachment=1]

Mind you, she does eat more than he does.  When she finishes her food she 'helps' him with his and then moves on to Janet's and eats that too.

Three of the Plot Four were waiting for me on the plot.  Keith is becoming so tame now that I'm sure I could stroke him.  He starts eating the food as soon as I put it down and doesn't back away from my hand.

[attachment=2]
[attachment=3]

Calico the tortie and black cat is very funny to watch.  She comes close to me too, and rubs herself on every stick on the plot.  I thought at first that maybe she had fleas but I was told that it is a sign of friendship. 

[attachment=4]

E.T. is getting a bit more confident with me.  She is not nearly as brave as the others, but there is progress.  My husband was with me this morning and I noticed that she kept further away because she doesn't know him.

[attachment=5]
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2010, 12:46:24 »
Lovely pictures, they all look very healthy.  I still love E.T.  One word of warning, cats can communicate, and they might bring all their friends and relations to your allotment to get food from that nice lady.

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2010, 13:42:20 »
They are all beautiful, and they are so lucky to have you to look after them.  Calico rubbing herself on the sticks is her way of saying that it is her place!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2010, 14:21:37 »
Like Borlotti it's E.T. who's my favourite as well, although they're all lovely looking cats. 
Seeing them I realise just how much I miss having a cat or two around at home even though it's been many years since I last did.  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2010, 15:20:59 »
They are coming through this cold spell just fine and look so well and well cared for.  Calico is a beauty.   :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2010, 15:42:25 »
They look great.  I really like the look of calico.  I just love the  black and tan with white trimmings.   What a lovely welcome you much get when you arrive at the allotments.  Do they keep the site clear of mice etc?   

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2010, 16:02:38 »
Delighted they are all okay.  It is lovely to see their photo’s.

I have thought of them every day and every night in this bitterly cold weather and hoped they were all well.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2010, 16:05:27 »
They all look great..but E.T does it for me too.. ;D Have you got any mice left on whole lottie anymore..

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2010, 16:39:12 »
When I drive up to the pavilion Felix is always waiting on the grass near the path and Triangle a little behind him.  Janet usually sits on top of her box.  It is so nice the way Felix runs over, he looks like a little rottweiler because he hasn't got a tail and he sort of swaggers.

When I go over to the plot Calico appears from nowhere, she knows my car and comes running.  She comes up the path with me, and Keith is usually waiting half-way up, all excited and with his tail straight up and bushy.  E.T. often waits under the fig tree which is near where I feed them.  I haven't seen Wanda for a couple of days now but last time I saw her she looked fine.

My biggest concern is that they will be cold but I know I am being an over-anxious mother.  There are sheds and greenhouses they can go into and so long as they have regular food I'm sure they will be ok.  (doesn't stop me being an anxious mother though :()

As for the rats and mice - the only one I've seen for ages was a dead rat outside the pavilion.  In the past I used to see rats running across the plot but since the cats moved in I haven't seen any at all. 

The only downside is that I have to keep checking the area outside the pavilion for cat poo.  I don't mind doing this at all, I have dogs which I clean up after, but my worry is that non-cat lovers will see poo and complain.  I did put a litter box down for them but I don't know how to train them to use it or even if they would use it with all the alternative places they have available. 

Thanks for your replies and concern.  I bet I'm boring the socks off the non-cat-loving people!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2010, 16:45:03 »
I love to read your post Betty, when my dog passed away last year we decided no more pets or rather OH did. I am :-\ . I enjoy hearing about this surrogate cat family and I think a lot of others do judging by the replies.  :) :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2010, 16:52:22 »
Betty you are a very caring remarkable person   ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2010, 16:54:33 »
I love to read your post Betty, when my dog passed away last year we decided no more pets or rather OH did. I am :-\ . I enjoy hearing about this surrogate cat family and I think a lot of others do judging by the replies.  :) :)

That's nice of you pumpkin  :) but I'm sorry about your dog. My two are getting on a bit now, 11 and 13 and I don't think we will have any more once they are gone.  

I've never had a cat since I was a child but looking after them at the allotments has been an eye-opener for me.  Triangle is amazing.  Considering that she was born to a feral mother and had no human contact until she was at least two months old, she is just so friendly with me.  As soon as I sit down on the bench outside the pavilion she jumps up on my lap and starts purring.  It's difficult to walk sometimes because she weaves in and out of my feet.  
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2010, 17:05:15 »
I wonder if Triangle would settle with you at home, when you haven’t any dogs anymore.

I don’t think you would be able to train them to use a litter tray, they probably have their favourite places of going to toilet already.

I was delighted to read your post today as it has been an awful time here as we had to have our Sam put to sleep last week and life has been very strange.  The place is so empty without him but I am lucky as we are going to get a rescue puppy even though my OH said we would never get anymore dogs.

Your post’s are never boring even if you aren’t a cat lover.

Hope you see Wanda soon.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal